Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to do my first fluid swaps! What fluids should I use for oil, and differentials. I switched from Artic cat so any help would be appreciated. I am thinking Mobil 1 5w50 oil and not sure on diff?

Thanks,
JW

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Looking to do my first fluid swaps! What fluids should I use for oil, and differentials. I switched from Artic cat so any help would be appreciated. I am thinking Mobil 1 5w50 oil and not sure on diff?

Thanks,
JW
You will get 10 different answers on this question like it always does. Some people swear by POPO fluids and say you must use it here or you must use it there because POPO will void your warranty. That is all just BS they will not void your warranty if you use something else. Nothing wrong with using POPO oil and there are fluids on the market as good or better than what they sell. I will tell you what I use in mine and you can determine if it meets your needs.

motor-Mobile 1 0W40 or Shell Rotella T 5W40 (both synthetic)
transmission-5W20 motor oil
front gearcase-synthetic ATF
rear gearcase-75W90 gear oil or whatever weight I can get at work for free

I have 10400 miles on my 500X2 and 10006 on my 550XP using these fluids without one single problem.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The 500HO doesn't have a separate rear and transmission.
Here's what I use.

Motor Oil - Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W40.
I use it in my trucks and most of my cars so it's on the shelf. Don't forget there are two drain plugs. One on the engine and one on the oil tank.

Transmission Oil - Amsoil Chaincase Lube.
I have it for the sled so again it's on the shelf.

Hilliard Front Diff - Polaris Demand Drive Plus.
Tractor Supply 5W UTF, John Deere J20C, and Non Synthetic Mobil 424 Hydraulic Oil are Hilliard approved but I'm too damn lazy to scrounge em up. The gallon or more "small" quantities don't make sense for a 8-10oz fill when the Polaris is the only rig that uses it. I don't feel good about using ATF even tho it's likely just fine. Here's a thread on Hilliard Fluid... http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-900-engine/92211-hilliard-direct-front-axle-fluid-info.html#post1136960

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. i think they will get me started, hard to argue with 10000 ,miles...thats why I like the forum

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I just use the Polaris stuff for everything. It is a more expensive route to go but is easiest for me to get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts