Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding three wheelers and then quads for a long time but allways one up. I know how a atv feels when it starts to get light in the front going up a hill. How does the touring model feel going up a hill with two people. Is the weight situated so that it doesnt make the quad light in front due to two people or is that something your REALLY have to watch. Just curious as Im about to get a sportsman touring 550 eps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a '13 500 HO Touring. The length is 86" over the non touring being 83". However, the wheelbase is 57" compared to 50.75" of the non touring which makes a good bit if climbing stability difference. I have climbed some fairly steep hills,but keep it a little on the reserved side with passengers. If you are an experienced rider you will know how it feels and when to transfer weight forward and when to have the passenger get off before you climb.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
the safety and stability of a 2-up atv doesn't isn't as much about length as it is where the passengers weight is in relation to the rear axle.. On a purpose built 2-up atv, the rear axle is below and slightly behind the passengers weight center. Thats what keeps the front end down.. When carrying a passenger on a 1-up atv, the passengers weight is behind the rear axle which is what makes it easier to for the front end to come up or worst case flip over backward unexpectedly.. A rider that knows what they're doing can carry a passenger just fine on a 1-up atv, but a 2-up ride is nearly impossible to flip over backward.. Definately due to the added length, but primarily because of where the passenger sits in relation to the rear axle..
You'll love your touring when carrying a passenger, and you'll love it even more when climbing steep hills on your own. The added length makes the xp's already amazing ride even better.. And when climbing steep hills the front end stays firmly planted..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
sorry guys, i have to correct myself.. I meant to say that when carrying a passenger on a purpose built 2-up atv the passengers weight is in front of the rear axle not behind.. Thats where the stability comes from vs a passenger on a 1-up atv where the weight ends up behind the rear axle making it easier to flip over..

·
Registered
919 Posts
What golf12 said. I've never come close to tipping backwards on our 2-up or the X2, which has the same chassis as the Touring.

Stew

·
Registered
356 Posts
We have a 2012 550 EPS Touring with about 500 miles. We have ridden up inclines in the AR mountains with ease in 2up. My wife weighs about 160 and we notice no difference in the handling from 1up.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
What golf12 said. A purpose built 2up machine is more stable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts