Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the '09 800 touring passenger backrest and hand grips be removed for one up riding? After seeing those aluminum wheels on that blue bodywork, i might have to go that route instead of the 850xp. Any big disadvantage to the touring"s extra length out on the trail? Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can the '09 800 touring passenger backrest and hand grips be removed for one up riding? After seeing those aluminum wheels on that blue bodywork, i might have to go that route instead of the 850xp. Any big disadvantage to the touring"s extra length out on the trail? Thanks
I have just the reverse question, Will those hand grips and backrest fit on a standard '07 Sportsman 800 ?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
nurse bud, yes the backrest and handgrips can be removed from the touring. biggest issue with the extra length will be in tight technical areas as you will have a slightly larger turning radius. all the times ive driven a touring i never had an issue.

grunthunter, no they will not fit, at least not with a lot of modification. polaris does offer a solo backrest for your machine that attaches using the lock and ride function. it does not offer any additional seating room, just intended as a backrest for the operator at the rear edge of the seat. if you are looking for something for 2-up on your machine keep in mind that in a lot of areas across the U.S. it is illegal to have a passanger on your machine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
nurse bud, yes the backrest and handgrips can be removed from the touring. biggest issue with the extra length will be in tight technical areas as you will have a slightly larger turning radius. all the times ive driven a touring i never had an issue.

grunthunter, no they will not fit, at least not with a lot of modification. polaris does offer a solo backrest for your machine that attaches using the lock and ride function. it does not offer any additional seating room, just intended as a backrest for the operator at the rear edge of the seat. if you are looking for something for 2-up on your machine keep in mind that in a lot of areas across the U.S. it is illegal to have a passanger on your machine.
Yeah, understand about the 2-up issue. I'm on a hunting lease on a large ranch here in Central Florida so it's just riding through flat pastures. I definately wouldn't try that on any rough trails. I've seen cargo boxes that go on the back that appear to have a back rest and arm rests. I may have to look into that. It's just me and my 12 yr old.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i gotcha...just wanted to make sure you knew that before you invested you money into it. here is a link to the polaris site. it shows both the rear cargo box with back rest and just the backrest when you go to the rear cargo section

From what I can tell they don't offer just the back rest by itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
a lock and ride backrest is available from polaris-$199.00. i found mine new on ebay for $89.00. very nice and adjustable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
a lock and ride backrest is available from polaris-$199.00. i found mine new on ebay for $89.00. very nice and adjustable.
Do you happen to have the part number for it and maybe a photo of how it's installed? Can two people sit on it with the backrest in place?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
it is PN# 2877219

and i just ran it on the polaris dealer site and it said it was only $99.99 USD from a dealer

this is the only picture i can find. you should be able to install this yourself no problems though, doesnt look hard to do and should come with instructions. as far as sitting with 2-people, it would be possible but tight. you can try it out now, sit two up but have your passanger sit on the seat with you, before the second touring seat. keep in mind, doing this is probably going to be illegal on most trails and public land

·
Registered
26 Posts
at pure polaris.com-the pure polaris online storethey show it-the item # is 2876368 it might be possible to get two people on the atv if it's pushed all the way back. it's a lock and ride item so it goes on with the boat plug style attachments takes about 5 seconds to mount to your rear rack as long as you don't have a box or anything else mounted. i have an expanded metal basket so it took some small modifications.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
jc, haha you are right, i was thinking 2-up model instead of the regular one....i got who had the 2-up and who didnt from the first two post mixed up.

so yes, jc323 is right. it is PN#2876368 and is $199.99 retail. i also agree with jc that if pushed all the way back you should be able to seat two, it will just be snug. these are the only and biggest images i could find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts