Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone manage this? WAS going to try yesterday, had her on the ramps and all.
she is 48" wide and the entry to my bed is 49" and too close for comfort!

Looking at newer trucks and may just have to take the tape measure to the dealer with me!

2001 F150 SuperCrew

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Hard part is the length. You can drive over the wheel wells in the bed and generally miss breaking the rear window. But depending on the length of your truck bed it might or might not fit. I have a crew cab truck with only the short 5.5ft bed so even my smaller machines will have to have the tailgate down. Buddy has a Dodge 3/4 ton crew cab with the long bed. That truck is like a bus though.

There have been several threads here where guys have made a ramp that moves the front of the machine up so it all fits in the bed with the tailgate closed. I have also seen bed covers that are designed to load an ATV on top of the truck bed too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Measurements show the length won't be an issue, wheels will be on the gap between tailgate and bed.
It is the width at the entrance that is a PITA on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
What make of truck do you have?

·
Registered
297 Posts

Looking at newer trucks and may just have to take the tape measure to the dealer with me!

2001 F150 SuperCrew

Do you not like trailers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
I generally haul the ATV in the back of my Ram 3500, 8' bed. The well to well measurement is 50". That is plenty even for my wheeler with a big wheel kit on it. IDK the well to well measurement on the Sierra 2500 with the 6' bed but I had no problems with that when I did haul in the bed. Either way I hauled with the tailgate down and used 4 straps. I can't see you having an issue even with a 5.5' bed. Hell there where guys here stuffing wheelers in Avalanches and Ridgelines.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I generally haul the ATV in the back of my Ram 3500, 8' bed. The well to well measurement is 50". That is plenty even for my wheeler with a big wheel kit on it. IDK the well to well measurement on the Sierra 2500 with the 6' bed but I had no problems with that when I did haul in the bed. Either way I hauled with the tailgate down and used 4 straps. I can't see you having an issue even with a 5.5' bed. Hell there where guys here stuffing wheelers in Avalanches and Ridgelines.

Here in BC, and for many years guys get their trucks stollen with their machines loaded on them. Also another trend has been people getting their enclosed trailers stollen as well. Crazy! It’s a lot of work protecting our stuff. Not enough gun boots!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As the OP says, F150. That’s a Ford ?

I have a nice trailer. Buried

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Seems odd that a full size truck would be that narrow. Measured by Chevy Silverado...61" at the tailgate, 56" with the Tonneau cover brackets on. You must have something else in the bed that narrows the opening.

Either way, it will fit, just take some care (ok, a lot of care) to get it in there. Not the ideal situation when you are going up ramps to get into the bed for sure.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the same truck and he is right, between the wheel wells is fine. The issue is the first 4in of the opening of the bed is 49.5" wide. Not sure why its so narrow,.. maybe because of the box style.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I better measure the new supercrews just in case! Thanks for measuring.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Damn, that's tight. Wonder what they were thinking....

·
Registered
41 Posts
For anyone with a short bed, do not leave the wheels on the tail gate while driving. Some of these machines are
800 LBS and it is overload for what a tailgate can hold on bumpy roads. I would drop in a couple 2x8's, 2x10's or 2x12's the length of the bed plus gate so it relieves some of the pressure from the tail gate through the cantilever of the 2x8(10,12). I have a 6 and 3/4 foot bed so it fits with 4 wheels in the bed, I just can't close the tail gate.

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts

2001 F150 SuperCrew
Not sure what you are referring to as the entry to your bed??? If you are talking about between the wheel wells, no problem. Even if the tires touch there, it will squeeze in, nothing to worry about. I've had mine in the truck many times. Your Touring will fit in the bed fine, but you don't really want it sitting on the tailgate. If you have the 5.5' bed, it will definitely be sitting on the tailgate.

·
Registered
314 Posts

2001 F150 SuperCrew
Not sure what you are referring to as the entry to your bed??? If you are talking about between the wheel wells, no problem. Even if the tires touch there, it will squeeze in, nothing to worry about. I've had mine in the truck many times. Your Touring will fit in the bed fine, but you don't really want it sitting on the tailgate. If you have the 5.5' bed, it will definitely be sitting on the tailgate.
I have the same truck and he is right, between the wheel wells is fine. The issue is the first 4in of the opening of the bed is 49.5" wide. Not sure why its so narrow,.. maybe because of the box style.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Jason.

·
Super Moderator
7,033 Posts
So your tailgate is only 49.5" wide??? You have a step side F-150? Instead of just quoting previous posts, a simple answer would have cleared everything up. "The entry to my bed"??? WTH is that? Aw, never mind...

·
Registered
314 Posts
So your tailgate is only 49.5" wide??? You have a step side F-150? Instead of just quoting previous posts, a simple answer would have cleared everything up. "The entry to my bed"??? WTH is that? Aw, never mind...
Actually its not a stepside,. regardless though I believe that is Chev terminology. Ford has 3 terms for box style,. styleside, flareside(stepside) my truck has no box steps, and supercrew-which is kind of a styling hybrid between the 2. Unfortunately it has the internal dimensions of the flareside. This was back in the start of 2000,.. not sure if it applies to today as things can change with automakers.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I love my Diamondback Toneau cover. Touring fits on my long bed rear loaded or side loaded. And I still have a full bed worth of secure waterproof storage. But then again, I'm not driving a ford either.

Attachments

Reactions: bobx2

·
Registered
314 Posts
I love my Diamondback Toneau cover. Touring fits on my long bed rear loaded or side loaded. And I still have a full bed worth of secure waterproof storage. But then again, I'm not driving a ford either.
How is that for hauling,.. does your atv slide around up there? I looked awhile back at those but they were fairly expensive and I needed to haul 2 sleds or 2 quads. My hauling truck is a 3/4 longbox diesel with a sled deck and the Ford is to just bomb around in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts