Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the thread about hill climbing on a touring vs a one up. Have a similar question so started this thread. Currently double my wife on my 500 HO but thinking about getting a touring - either 550 or 570. My question is does the longer wheel base affect handling (turning radius, etc) on the touring?

Thanks for your input.

BRR

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I don't own one but I think the 2ups are 6in longer frame? so it prob does have a bit larger turning radius.
Most guys on here like the extra stability of the longer chassis.
The 570 has struts up front like your 500 that can be a challenge when upgrading tires.
If the 850 was offered in an x2 in 2012 I would have went that route.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The 570 doesn't come with eps.

But personally i like the looks of the 570 touring better. Its all a preference thing.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
the tourings will have a slight larger turning radius. a little more tendency to high center on logs and such. but they will be more stable on hills and provide a different ride over rough terrain.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The increased turning radius is barely noticeable.

I haven't high centered on logs or anything yet on mine, but maybe someone out there does... Can't see it being much more often than on a standard 1up quad, especially if you take it at a 45º angle like you're "supposed" to...

I do have an easier time with small creek crossings though, compared to the guys riding 1up. The slightly longer wheelbase lets me cruise through some spots that are just big enough to swallow a 1up, but I make it through with little issue because at least one of my wheels is on terra firma, while the 1ups just need a few more inches to clear it...

When the lead quad in our group gets stuck, I get called to the front to make the crossing and pull him out on the other side. If I'm the lead quad, I have to pick spots where I think they can make it. I wish I had more Tourings in my group...

·
Registered
815 Posts
I love my touring. This is my first one. The longer wheel base isn't too bad on tight turns. On hills and rough spots it's very noticeable but for the better. Much better handling and performance on rough spots. On break over hills I have never felt I would hit sooner than a 1 up

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
IIRC for the XP the Touring has a 4" longer wheelbase. not a big difference. it can get tight on turns on a 50" trail, but i havent not been able to make it anywhere where the 1ups im with go. Go with the 550 for comfort and crusing or the 570 if you want a more affordable machine that is just as capable. only other plus to the 550 is EPS

·
Super Moderator
7,077 Posts
On the Value line, the 2 up machines, X2 and Touring, have a 9" longer wheel base than the single rider machines. On the XP series, I do believe there is a 6" difference in wheel base. I never noticed any disadvantage with the long wheel base on tight trails on my X2. However, the advantages on extreme terrain on my X2 were very noticeable. Really no drawbacks to the longer wheel base.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's the dimensional differences between the 2014 1up Sportsman 550/570 and the Touring 2UP sportsman 550/570. I got these dims straight off the popo spec sheet page on the popo site.
A 1up 570 has wheelbase of 50.5" and is 83" in total bike length.
The 2up touring 570 has wb of 56" and is 86" in length.
A 1up 550 has wb of 53" and is 83.25" in length
The 2up touring 550 has wb of 57" and is 86.5" in length.
The length of the bike (bumper to bumper) won't affect turning radius but the Longer wheelbase typically means larger turning radius. Altho the mac struts vs. A-arms may affect how sharp the wheels turn as well. The 570 wb grows 5.5" from 1up to 2up and the 550 wb grows only 4". That being said, the 550 wheelbase on the 1up is longer to begin with compared to the value line 570. They are slightly different animals. The arrangement of the CVT is diff on the 570 and 550. 570 the CVT belt is accessed on the left side of bike and the 550 is at the rear, hence the narrow seat to straddle. I haven't driven either yet, but I am eager to get a 2up. I own a 1up 2000 Popo 500 sportsman with a passenger cargo box seat and I feel cramped riding double. I'm 6'-5", so I need my leg room.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Some of my thoughts having just gone through to buying a touring...For me a one up isn't an option. I've got two kids and a wife and so there will be two of us on each bike at a time. I just got my first touring and am shopping passively for a second. Given MN just made it illegal to ride two people on a machine built for one and our DNR are rutheless, I had to buy a touring machine. It seems other states have already done this and others will follow. I like that the Polaris Touring models aren't really long like the Arctic Cat for example and even the 850 Touring can be had at a good price compared to the other brands' tourings. The 850 touring is just so comforable when there is a second rider and there is such an abundance of power. This has been our first week riding the machine and my wife having never touched a wheeler before in her life had no issues driving it with me on the back. I may end up buying an 850 for her as well.

·
Registered
815 Posts
once you get a long wheelbase you will never get a standard model again. Even can am uses the long wheelbase in that crazy mud version of the 1000. If Polaris puts out a competitor to that im sure it too will have the longer chassis.
Its just better riding control and comfort. Even a mild hill is very noticeable in how planted the touring is.

·
Super Moderator
7,077 Posts
Guess I have fallen behind the times, and not up to date on the specs of the newer machines. I was basing my numbers off of my '07 X2 and the wife's '09 500. My 850 has a 3" advantage over her 500. My apologies for the misinformation.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I love my touring!!! I usually ride 2up and never felt like I was pushing the center of gravity. I've even had friend that rolled a 500 where
the touring held it's own. Just like the other post said I have an 850. Plenty of power for whatever you do

·
Registered
434 Posts
Saw the thread about hill climbing on a touring vs a one up. Have a similar question so started this thread. Currently double my wife on my 500 HO but thinking about getting a touring - either 550 or 570. My question is does the longer wheel base affect handling (turning radius, etc) on the touring?

Thanks for your input.

BRR
Your wife will be so much more comfortable on the factory designed 2 person platform. This is a good thing in every way possible. More comfort equals more desire to ride. More stability instills more confidence in safety within the sport. The XP is a much better platform if you can swing the coin for it.

I only have a passenger on my Touring about 10% of the time. No way would I go back to the 1-up though. When I use the 2nd seat its amazing, when I don't its added length is confidence.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wouldn't buy a short wheel base utility again after owning a Touring. Like others said the stability is so much better. I do ride some narrow trails sometimes and you do have to compensate for the length a little in tight turns but its not that noticable. To drop into a ditch on an angle where a short base would have to square up to keep from tipping is a big advantage. I have tires that are an inch over stock height so I think that makes a difference going over rocks but again even with the stockers it wasn't an issue. I ride 1 up most of the time but when someone wants a ride they can be on the back and have their own space without being right on top of you (If thats what you want). On the XP's you can pop the back seat off and stick a soft cooler with beverages there. Really no downside to it that I can see.

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've got a 21qt hard side storage box in the hole where my passenger seat goes. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the box to line up with where the seat mounting pin sticks up from the quad. Then I shoved the hole in the box over the pin, slid a hitch pin over the notch in the mounting pin. Between the pin and the pressure from the seat, the box doesn't move a bit, and it doesn't obstruct my view when I turn around. I put a zip tie on each side of the pin to make sure it doesn't pop off just in case. Added bonus is it gives me space to store my straps and such without getting the inside of my front OEM box dirty or wet. Only thing that gets put in the rear box is spare water bottles and straps/carabiners.

photo 1-2.JPG

photo 2-2.JPG

·
Registered
962 Posts
The only things I can add are that (1) MANY places will not let you ride 2 up on a 1 up machine. Something to consider if you plan to travel. (2) one downfall I've found to the longer wheelbase is that it is considerably harder to keep the front end up in water. While I know a touring model isn't really for "submarining", but I have found myself having to cross small creeks on occasion when riding with others. Other than that, I love my touring.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the great feedback. Sounds like touring is the way to go!

BRR

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Might want to check out the 550X2 model. According to Polaris, the dealers, and my experience, they have a tighter turning radius than the standard models. Plus it is a two up model and a work horse. Go to polaris.com and check it out before making a decision. Its worth a look. I wouldnt have any other machine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts