Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to make a trailer for cutting wood and whatever else comes up, also good for kids to ride along in. Used a harbor frieght 40x48 trailer that I cut down to 25 wide and made adapters to bolt my factory rims to the axle .

·
Registered
993 Posts
Very nicely done. I will post pictures of mine in a minute. You gave me a goo idea though with making the mounting plate to mount up some bigger tires on mine.

·
Registered
978 Posts
heck of a nice build

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not quite as nice as yours but it works great for yard work and the side boards come off plus it tilts.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definatly need some bigger tires cubby !

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Nice builds. Personally I want a Walking beam trailer for mine. but thats a ways away.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not sure about other state rules but here in MT atv's are street legal. So my question is has anyone hooked up brakelights and tail lights to their wheelers? If so was it easy to do? I have pulled mine around my town just because the cops say as long as they can see your brake lights on the atv while the trailer is behind you is ok. But I would like to have lights so I can just load my daughter's outlaw 90 on it with her on back of mine till we get to where we want to ride and unload hers and unhook the trailer and go (yes I live in a small town with tons of places to ride with in a mile of city limits)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You might be able to splice into your existing wires, and add a plug. Might want to use leds on the trailer so you dont blow a fuse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to put some tailights in mine eventually, that's all I was going to do was tap into the tail lights

·
Registered
258 Posts
deanler where did u get your hands on those wheel spacers to put atv hubs on trail bolt pattern? and I agree with thorshammer, walking beam would be the way to go, take some weight off the bike hitch and move easier on the rough stuff...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
deanler where did u get your hands on those wheel spacers to put atv hubs on trail bolt pattern? and I agree with thorshammer, walking beam would be the way to go, take some weight off the bike hitch and move easier on the rough stuff...
I had them water cut out at work then countersunk the screws, could make more if there's a need

Looked at doing a walking beam but everywhere I ride/cut wood is smooth trails. And I think they look rediculous Haha

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Decided to make a trailer for cutting wood and whatever else comes up, also good for kids to ride along in. Used a harbor frieght 40x48 trailer that I cut down to 25 wide and made adapters to bolt my factory rims to the axle .

Nice trailer..... I'm envious! Would like to build something like that myself for yard and woods work.

Not So my question is has anyone hooked up brakelights and tail lights to their wheelers? If so was it easy to do? I have pulled mine around my town just because the cops say as long as they can see your brake lights on the atv while the trailer is behind you is ok. But I would like to have lights so I can just load my daughter's outlaw 90 on it with her on back of mine till we get to where we want to ride and unload hers and unhook the trailer and go (yes I live in a small town with tons of places to ride with in a mile of city limits)
When I added my Wes seat/box, I tied into the rear tail/brake light wiring to operate the light on the seat. So it sould work just fine to run a small trailer light set. The idea of LED lights to reduce circut load is a good one too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put it to work today

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mine started out as a harbor freight trailer also, and I spliced into quad wiring and have tail/brake lights, plus it's licensed. Also have a battery mounted on tongue with a solar maintainer for a couple lights inside and a 12 volt socket for plugging in phone charger, etc.
I had a similar adapter made, but run stock rims inside out due to clearance, just need to lay on ground to check tire pressure. Pulls easy and smooth with about 3 psi

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wired up the lights on my trailer. The 40x48 HF one and they have given me no problems
I would also like to know where those hubs came from. The little wheels out in the desert prospecting do some serious bouncing at times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I made them, I can have more made if needed

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wired up the lights on my trailer. The 40x48 HF one and they have given me no problems
I would also like to know where those hubs came from. The little wheels out in the desert prospecting do some serious bouncing at times.
I had my adapters made at; Device Developement in Phoenix, if your down that way sometime, Matt or Jerry would probably remember making them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had my adapters made at; Device Developement in Phoenix, if your down that way sometime, Matt or Jerry would probably remember making them.
what did he charge for them

·
Registered
8 Posts
__
I will be spending the Winter at Yarnell,AZ I may just look them up. Thanks The stock wheels I run almost flat in order to keep it from bouncing and add 2 five gal buckets of water for weight to hold it down. Dang I like your trailer !! and my quad is black and silver that trailer would look so nice behind it :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts