Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Boys,

Has anyone ever mounted a tow hitch to the front of there quads?

I'm wanting to push my boat around the yard and it will be alot easier to push it around than pull it...

Where did you mount the hitch? was it home made or not?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
ok, I'll bite. This is going to have to be custom built. and in all honesty, it may not be worth the effort. 1. you're potentially overloading the front of the bike. causing spring fatigue, alignment issues, and if it's to overloaded you risk bending A-arms or tie rods. 2. it's not that hard to use the quad towing from the rear. and most ski boats will exceed the towing rating for the ATV. and 3. a trailer dolly is $49 at Harbor freight. and it's easy to use. granted it's not motorized, but I can move my 1600 lb tandem axle around with it. so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
ok, I'll bite. This is going to have to be custom built. and in all honesty, it may not be worth the effort. 1. you're potentially overloading the front of the bike. causing spring fatigue, alignment issues, and if it's to overloaded you risk bending A-arms or tie rods. 2. it's not that hard to use the quad towing from the rear. and most ski boats will exceed the towing rating for the ATV. and 3. a trailer dolly is $49 at Harbor freight. and it's easy to use. granted it's not motorized, but I can move my 1600 lb tandem axle around with it. so take that for what it's worth.
So..... you could buy the trailer dolly and custom fab it to tow/park the boat. Brilliant!! :D

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
if you're fabricating it why buy the one to modify. a lot less hassle just to make what you need from scratch. I can see you fabbing up a load bearing dolly that the trailer couples too and that couples to your ATV, but you've than got to get the dolly to lock in and not turn save the casters moving in comparison to the trailer basically acting as a load bearing tongue extension. but for that effort you could hook it to the truck and move it around. or put a ball on a tractor or fork lift if either are available to move the boat around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We did exactly that do my dads bike for the exact same reason. We bought just a bolt on hitch and fabbed it on the frontend. And he only uses it for pushing power. Keeping jack with wheel on the ground to support the weight. And his is only 2wd so plenty of room to install hitch. We also use the bike to push a racecar around the pits with a push bar that also slides into the hitch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We did exactly that do my dads bike for the exact same reason. We bought just a bolt on hitch and fabbed it on the frontend. And he only uses it for pushing power. Keeping jack with wheel on the ground to support the weight. And his is only 2wd so plenty of room to install hitch. We also use the bike to push a racecar around the pits with a push bar that also slides into the hitch.
Exactly what im going to do!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If "pushing power" and no weight is on it..... my quick thoughts are to get one of these hitches:

-Or-

And fab something to fit it to the bottom..... or drill holes (referencing top reciever) and use the square u-bolts idea over the frame tubes. Easily removed if needed, but depending on where you can and end up mounting it you may need to fab yout own hitch ball tube??? :dunno:

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I don't have level ground so I would need something that would require the usage of the trailer jack to move the trailer. but if you're on level ground you should be ok.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree be it front or rear of an ATV that tongue weight is limited but for moving a boat or parking an RV especially with the tongue jack wheel down it should be a non issue if one has the traction and power required. Last week I picked up an option to modify for a rear receiver on the Magnum 325 when at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Nice job on that front hitch. Now if you need to haul more you can insert a receiver based hauling rack as well. :)

I think having a hook would be awesome on the front.
recovery shackle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts