Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean up large areas that have sticks, pine needles, etc.

Has anyone had experience with one of the Landscape Rakes available for towing with a quad ? ?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Fuse, How did you mount it up without the 3 point system and tool bar?

Curt, one of the tow behind tine rakes from the local big box hardware store works great for grass and leaves. I think they actually call them a dethatcher. If you want to invest in some nice stuff, the Kolpin implements or the MotoAlliance implements are both great stuff. The Motoalliance stuff is significantly less expensive too. I could get you the lift/mount and 50" rake shipped for a little under $300. Requires a 2" receiver hitch too.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have a de-thacther and also a arerator tow behind i use ..I got them at Sears during the spring sale...and they work great....I use my Suzuki to tow them ..its a smaller machine so does no dig up the grass much...

Sears.com

This rack should work good for what you need...

Sears.com

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I want to use this in the woods where I have removed a lot of trees for fire mitigation. As a result there are a fair number of small stumps that stick up a few inches.

Are these things robust enough to hit a stump and not bend the tine ?

I prefer the single-point attach tow-behind because I don't want to mess with the three point device. Also, the terrain is very uneven so the rake needs to follow the ups and downs.

I am looking at this one.

Farm Star Landscape Rake — 48in. Width | Dethatchers Rakes| Northern Tool + Equipment

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
thats going to work better for sticks and such than a dethatcher would. but would be more prone to bent tines than a De-thatcher would. If the spacing of the stumps is wide enough that you can avoid them a bit I'd got with the heavier one from norther tool.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Fuse, How did you mount it up without the 3 point system and tool bar?
Mine was similar to that new sportsmanguide one. It was purchased from them several years back. I had the single point lift system. It was attached to my Yamaha. Sold it when we moved (smaller yard at current house) but I have one of those big box store dethatcher and it's decent at best. The Northern Tool one looks nice. Always have had good luck with their products.

I wish I had taken some pics of my sportsmanguide one it was pretty neat but probably overkill for what the OP is looking for. It was better suited for if you had multiple implements.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If there is a lot of debris there, neither are going to be a single pass solution. I would start out with a mulching solution on a garden tractor or similar in bag-less operation. Then second pass bagging it or using a plow to create compost stations (or a single composting pile if the property is not large enough for multiple.) Follow-up with a blower to get the finer particles left behind.

The problem with the rack or de-thatcher is not that is won't pick the stuff up - it's that it is going to pick too much of it up. You'll spend most of your time clearing clogs or cleaning up all the debris it catches.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
ok..if your going to use in the woods then a rake would be bettr than a thatcher would...I thought you wanted for general yard work...

the Northern tool one looks good...but again will it hold up to your type of application...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts