Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Polaris folk. I have been atv'ing for quite some time but just recently got the itch to gear up. I have 2 atv's (polaris 570 and yamaha wolverine 450), a f150, and a trailer. My question is this- the 570 weighs about 700lbs and the wolverine weighs 400lbs. Which should go on the trailer and which should go in the bed? My original inclination was to put the lighter 450 in the bed and the 570 on the trailer but then I was thinking the trailer might be less squirley with less weight on it and more in the truck. Keep in mind I will be going up and down the rocky mountains. I'm sure the truck can handle 700lbs in the bed but is that good for the shocks? Then of course there is the possibility that it really doesn't make two @#$%$ of a difference!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd put the 450 in the truck and tow the 570 make sure you have the right length of drop in your hitch so that the trailer is towing level when both are loaded.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
That would scare the hell outta me, especially since you're driving through the Rockies. Does the wolverine fit on the trailer better? If so, I would put the 570 in the truck bed and tow the wolverine.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I put my 500 in a 4x6 the tires rub both sides but the rims don't hit so I go with it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here's what I tow mine with. It can fit 2 of them width wise. It's 5x9, but looks smaller in the photo because of the angle. They were both a little muddy and just got a bath in this pic.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would definitely put the 570 on the trailer. I have a 4x8 trailer also, I tie the front of the atv down tight to the trailer straight on. I then use two straps to go from the trailer hitch of the atv to the sides of the trailer to hold it from sliding. Ratchet those down tightly obviously as well. Do a shake test and rock the atv to make sure it doesn't slide a fraction of a millimeter to make sure it's safe, otherwise repeat the process until you get it right. You always want less weight in the bed of the truck for best efficiency. Plus, have you actually tried getting the 570 in the bed of the truck? Unless you have a long box, it probably doesn't fit very well (unless it's sitting on your tailgate which you do not want).

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
personally I'd opt for a larger trailer that can hold both. it'll be safer both loading, and towing. those really small trailers are a pain to tow, and not nearly as stable as a larger/longer trailer. not to mention leaving the truck bed open for other gear.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Howdy Polaris folk. I have been atv'ing for quite some time but just recently got the itch to gear up. I have 2 atv's (polaris 570 and yamaha wolverine 450), a f150, and a trailer. My question is this- the 570 weighs about 700lbs and the wolverine weighs 400lbs. Which should go on the trailer and which should go in the bed? My original inclination was to put the lighter 450 in the bed and the 570 on the trailer but then I was thinking the trailer might be less squirley with less weight on it and more in the truck. Keep in mind I will be going up and down the rocky mountains. I'm sure the truck can handle 700lbs in the bed but is that good for the shocks? Then of course there is the possibility that it really doesn't make two @#$%$ of a difference!
What size bed do you have on the F150. If it's big enough to put the 570 in and close the tailgate, that's what I would do. If the wolverine will go in the bed with the tailgate shut...I'd do that. If neither will go in with the tailgate shut...I'd put the wolverine in the bed and the 570 on the trailer. I think a little bigger trailer would be your best bet

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't tried putting the 570 in the bed but the wolvy should fit just fine with the tailgate up. I may get a bigger trailer in a couple years but for now this one should do the trick. It is literally just for hauling the ATV so I didn't want to make a huge investment straight off the bat since I was also buying the ATV's and the truck as well. Gonna be a fun summer though!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would definitely put the 570 on the trailer. I have a 4x8 trailer also, I tie the front of the atv down tight to the trailer straight on. I then use two straps to go from the trailer hitch of the atv to the sides of the trailer to hold it from sliding. Ratchet those down tightly obviously as well. Do a shake test and rock the atv to make sure it doesn't slide a fraction of a millimeter to make sure it's safe, otherwise repeat the process until you get it right. You always want less weight in the bed of the truck for best efficiency. Plus, have you actually tried getting the 570 in the bed of the truck? Unless you have a long box, it probably doesn't fit very well (unless it's sitting on your tailgate which you do not want).
Don't you tie back down as tight as hand possible then hook winch up & suck front down & it'll also suck rear good & tight??

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Don't you tie back down as tight as hand possible then hook winch up & suck front down & it'll also suck rear good & tight??
No, not only is this illegal in many states, it's also VERY hard on the winch. SO which would you rather replace after a couple of transport sessions? a $200 winch and deal with the removal and install of said winch, or a <$20 pack of ratchet straps?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yikes dude, never use your winch for that. Won't hold up. Plus like the guy above said, straps are cheaper and more secure.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yikes dude, never use your winch for that. Won't hold up. Plus like the guy above said, straps are cheaper and more secure.
I assumed that after you winch it down you knew I meant also to attach straps to front & release winch. Just use the pre-load from winch to tighten it down W/out killing yourself if you have the non-ratcheting tie downs like I have.Cycle ones that you pull.

·
Registered
479 Posts
personally I'd opt for a larger trailer that can hold both. it'll be safer both loading, and towing. those really small trailers are a pain to tow, and not nearly as stable as a larger/longer trailer. not to mention leaving the truck bed open for other gear.
Words of wisdom.

When I had my 7'x14' I could put my wife's RZR and my quad on the trailer and my son's Phoenix 200 fits in the bed of the truck with the tailgate up. Now that he is getting older I upgraded to a 7'x18' since he could outgrow the 200 in a couple of years.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I assumed that after you winch it down you knew I meant also to attach straps to front & release winch. Just use the pre-load from winch to tighten it down W/out killing yourself if you have the non-ratcheting tie downs like I have.Cycle ones that you pull.
that was not a safe assumption because many people on here admit to using the winch as one of their anchor points.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My Touring fits in the bed (Dodge MegaCab, 6ft box), the bottom of the rear wheels sit on the hinge of the tailgate, but there's no tension on the tailgate cables, I can move them both around with one finger.

If I were hauling 2 quads very often, I'd get a trailer that could fit both machines. It's less work. 99% of trailers out there will pull better when you load them down. The weight of the trailer alone, or one smaller quad, just isn't enough to keep it from swaying in the wind most of the time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts