Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I have a 2007 800 EFI sportsman. One of my intended uses is to manouver a medium size travel trailer into it's parking home. It's very difficult using my tow vehicle (F-350 full sized).

I know the tongue wieght is limted to 120 pounds wih the built-in 1 1/4" hitch. My trailer is 7100 pounds so I assume the tough weight is 1/10th at about 700 pounds. So, obviously I can't just dump it on the ATV and go. My work around it to keep the trailer jack down with a swivel wheel taking some of the weight. I am even going to fit two additional trailer jacks with swivel wheels to total three. My theory they will take move of the weght and the ATV will provide the pulling and pushing power.

Questions -

1) Has anyone done something similar? I don't wat to damage the ATV.
2) I think it would be real nice to have a front hitch, anyone got one that can take a 2" hitch and a few hundred pounds. If so, who sells them... I did google it and could not find a front hitch.
3) I did find a 2" reciever on Amazon from Fuse Powersports. Bolts on above the factory receiver. Looks strong.
4) I see the rear shocks are adjustable. They are set at the loosest setting, would it help to crank it up a few notches?

Any other advice would be welcome as most of this rigs use will be towing a small trailer, moving my travel trailer and attaching various tow attachments like spray tanks.

Thanks,

Kevin
:wt:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would not do it. That is way way too much weight. Most cars are not rated to move that much. Put a front hitch on your truck and use that. I moved my 3 place trailer with 2 sleds on it with my scrambler and it pulled it around ok (170 tongue weight) but was too short and hard to back up. No front hitch. I think you WILL damage your suspension with that much weigh or smoke the belt and clutch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Keep in mind, I will have at least one swivel wheel, and most likely 3 of them on the tongue end which should be taking the wieght and reducing tongue weight. At least that is my hpe based on amateur physics :)

Kevin

·
Registered
479 Posts
Are you moving on concrete asphalt or grass? 7100 lbs is close to what my F350 weighs. I burnt a belt pushing a Malibu in on gravel. Of course I dont have low range. I would be interested to know how it works for you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting.... if you are only on flat ground and moving it short distances I wouldn't see why not. It's not rated anywhere near that but the ratings are usually working loads. I also agree with 3 Polaris ATVs with the fact that you probably will be destroying your belt. As far as the shocks go, yes tightening the shocks will stiffen the ride and not allow it to sag as much when the weight is added but it's not going to increase your tongue/tow weight.

Also look at the safety aspect of what you are doing. Would you really want your 7100lb trailer hooked to a 750lb machine when it starts rolling? Not to mention that your field of view to going to include nothing but the front end of that trailer, you won't be able to see anything. Also, with the jack down while being hooked to the ATV, the smallest pothole is either going to put all the weight on the ATV or pull the ATV tires off the ground.

Maybe you can take that money you want to spend putting a front hitch on your ATV and buy a back-up camera and place it on the RV to help with backing.

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah seems to be too much weight and you'll burn the belt off....Muddie49

·
Registered
48 Posts
You might look into fabricating a dolly similar to what is used to tow a pup (2nd or third trailer behind a semi). It would carry all the weight of the toungue. I'm thinkin' maybe two main wheels (boat trailer) and a third caster wheel to keep it from flopping back and forth. I remember seeing a set up like that at an RV dealer a few years back when I bought my toyhauler. They had a lot of trailers and a small yard. Seems to me they used a bigger sized lawn tractor for power. If you are interested PM, me and I'll email a drawing (to the best of my memory and artistic capabilities). Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't do it, I damaged my 2004 Yamaha grizzly back in 2009 by pull my airstream not only Burn belt it damaged the tow hitch and rear axle the whole rear end is totaled she been sit in back on my shop ever since. Now I own a 2005 Polaris sportsman 800 and I wouldn't ever dare think do that.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Sounds to me like you just need more practice backing it with your truck.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Speeking as a person who tows a 40' 5th wheel with an F250, maneuvers my 1800# 18' car trailer in and out of my yard with my Sportsman, and tows a snowmachine trailer around at Arctic Man with my ATV loaded with up to 10 drunk buddies on it every year, DONT DO IT. That is way too much weight to safely move and will definately ruin your belt at the very least.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds to me like you just need more practice backing it with your truck.....
I agree with Clinebo. If you call pull it out from its parking spot, you should be able to back it in.

·
Registered
479 Posts
It would be too hard on the quad. Did you think of a front hitch on you truck? My buddy has one on his Excursion and it works great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts