Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Thinking of holidays next year. Plans are pretty loose right now, but I'm thinking it's going to include camping and driving new trails. Loads of options out there, one of them is a trailer that will accommodate me and the machines.

Looking at this one: RV Pictures - 2013 - FOREST RIVER RV, From BOATLAND RV

Anyone have any experience with this type of trailer? Any better ideas?

Again, goal is to haul 2 x ATV's and camp in comfort, any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks- Garry

·
Registered
806 Posts
Pulling Doubles

We have a 30ft 5th wheel and a lightweight trailer for the atvs to pull behind it. The reason we went this route is so we can set up the 5th wheel & leave it at camp and the take the atvs to the trailhead. We used to have a motorhome and the trailer for the atvs. When we had to take the MH to a trail we would sometimes lose our campsite while we were gone. This happened at the lake w/ the boat too. Something to consider, I don't know your specifics but that's what works for us.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We have a 30ft 5th wheel and a lightweight trailer for the atvs to pull behind it. The reason we went this route is so we can set up the 5th wheel & leave it at camp and the take the atvs to the trailhead. We used to have a motorhome and the trailer for the atvs. When we had to take the MH to a trail we would sometimes lose our campsite while we were gone. This happened at the lake w/ the boat too. Something to consider, I don't know your specifics but that's what works for us.
Fish, is giving you solid advice...I never even thought about that downfall of a "Toy Hauler".

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Fish, is giving you solid advice...I never even thought about that downfall of a "Toy Hauler".
Make sure you check the regulations where ever you plan on going. Some places don't allow "trained" pulling. I know Washington state is one of them.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I know some people who don't mind pulling double and I know some who hate it. And some places it is not legal, plus you have a legal limit to how long you can be. Not to mention that it is impossible to back up if you get into a bind. It happens.
I really like our toy hauler, and I feel that is the best way to go.
If you have two full size atv's, you need to be sure they will both fit inside. Mine have to go nose to tail. No way they would fit side by side, even though every salesman says they will. They will say anything to try to make a sale. Others say to "just turn one sideways". BS! Loaded and ready to ride they weigh over 800 lbs. Ain't happenin'. If you make any mods to your machines they will be over 48" wide. If the inside of the trailer is 8' wide then they won't fit side by side. Even then almost every trailer has stuff mounted to the walls that make the usable space even narrower. Take your tape measure along and don't get sucked into a trailer that won't fit. You need a minimum of 15' to fit in nose to tail.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know some people who don't mind pulling double and I know some who hate it. And some places it is not legal, plus you have a legal limit to how long you can be. Not to mention that it is impossible to back up if you get into a bind. It happens.
I really like our toy hauler, and I feel that is the best way to go.
If you have two full size atv's, you need to be sure they will both fit inside. Mine have to go nose to tail. No way they would fit side by side, even though every salesman says they will. They will say anything to try to make a sale. Others say to "just turn one sideways". BS! Loaded and ready to ride they weigh over 800 lbs. Ain't happenin'. If you make any mods to your machines they will be over 48" wide. If the inside of the trailer is 8' wide then they won't fit side by side. Even then almost every trailer has stuff mounted to the walls that make the usable space even narrower. Take your tape measure along and don't get sucked into a trailer that won't fit. You need a minimum of 15' to fit in nose to tail.
Bob,

If you don't mind me asking, what make/model Toy Hauler do you have?

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
It's a 2008 Keystone Energy 260FS. I don't know if they even still make this model, but if not, I'm sure the new model would be similar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I retire in less then 2 years we plan on leaving Alaska and going south to buy a toy hauler, so I have 2 years to pick and choose. I will need to put my wife's 2013 570 LE in it and I will probably pick up a 570 Sportsman too, so we will need a big garage in the toy hauler. I will be staying under 50" to meet trail restrictions. I want a comfortable one as we will be in it for a few months in the winter. I have spent many years in a wall tent on a cot, but do not want to deal with the set up and no bath room issue and our Lance slide in is not big enough for an extended stay. I have only spent about 5 days in a camp ground as I don't care for the restrictions and crowds.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
My wife want's a trailer. I want to take quads. so until she's ready and willing to accept a toy hauler and the new truck to pull it we're tenting it. cause I can only pull 1 trailer in WA. She's not going to be happy when it comes time to buy a new trailer to haul all the quads. as it stands we're looking at a minimum of 4 quads once the younger two are old enough to ride. 5 is she wants to go. still looking at 5+ yrs before I can upgrade the tow vehicle, but so far it's done a wonderful job. but I still haven't found an unmodified toy hauler that can accomidate 4 atvs without standing them up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's a 2008 Keystone Energy 260FS. I don't know if they even still make this model, but if not, I'm sure the new model would be similar.

That's a pretty nice rig.
What are you towing it with?
I had a diesel and got rid of it about a year ago, in an F150 King Ranch now. The 1/2 ton truck narrows down my options quite a bit.

We ride a pretty good bit and we have a lot on the TN river, so a Toy Hauler would fill both needs for us.

Did you say you can haul two machines in there?
Any chance there would be room for a third smaller atv for a kid?
How many will it realistically sleep?
Would you consider your setup comfortable enough to spend weekends at the river, where we are not gone all day riding? Not that we would be in it all day and night on river weekends, but more than if you're out riding all day.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I pull it with a 3/4 ton Silverado Duramax diesel. Fully loaded I'm close to 9,600 lbs. The tongue weight is around 1,100 lbs, so I would hesitate to hook it up to a 1/2 ton. Even with weight distribution bars it still squats the rear of the truck slightly. Not all toy haulers have that heavy of a tongue weight, but there don't seem to be many that can fit two full sized atv's nose to tail.
I can fit both atv's in there, but no way I could fit another one in with them. Being a bumper pull type, you could put another atv in the bed of the truck. I hauled a friends Sportsman 800 Touring up to Taylor Park with us that way once. I have just enough room to walk in front of them and down beside them to tie them down. I can't get behind them once the door is closed.
It has two 60" x 80" electric bunks in the rear and a 60" x 80" bed up front. The couch folds down into a bed, and it came with two bench's for the table that would fold down into another bed. I removed those two bench's and replaced them with a couple of swivel recliners, and removed the lower bunk in the rear for more head room back there. It would have easily have slept 8 before I modified it.
It is plenty comfortable enough to spend time in if the weather turns and you can't be outside. With the extra room in the rear you can set up four lawn chairs back there for extra seating if needed. Been there, done that. Also has a 100 gallon fresh water tank and a 30 gallon fuel station, so running out of water or gas has never been a problem, even on a week long camping trip.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I pull it with a 3/4 ton Silverado Duramax diesel. Fully loaded I'm close to 9,600 lbs. The tongue weight is around 1,100 lbs, so I would hesitate to hook it up to a 1/2 ton. Even with weight distribution bars it still squats the rear of the truck slightly. Not all toy haulers have that heavy of a tongue weight, but there don't seem to be many that can fit two full sized atv's nose to tail.
I can fit both atv's in there, but no way I could fit another one in with them. Being a bumper pull type, you could put another atv in the bed of the truck. I hauled a friends Sportsman 800 Touring up to Taylor Park with us that way once. I have just enough room to walk in front of them and down beside them to tie them down. I can't get behind them once the door is closed.
It has two 60" x 80" electric bunks in the rear and a 60" x 80" bed up front. The couch folds down into a bed, and it came with two bench's for the table that would fold down into another bed. I removed those two bench's and replaced them with a couple of swivel recliners, and removed the lower bunk in the rear for more head room back there. It would have easily have slept 8 before I modified it.
It is plenty comfortable enough to spend time in if the weather turns and you can't be outside. With the extra room in the rear you can set up four lawn chairs back there for extra seating if needed. Been there, done that. Also has a 100 gallon fresh water tank and a 30 gallon fuel station, so running out of water or gas has never been a problem, even on a week long camping trip.
Wow, sounds like a really nice rig brother!
I agree on the half ton thing...My truck is rated to tow 9800lbs, but 1100lbs on the tongue is a lot...Also, I'm not too fond of being right at the tow limit for safety reasons!

I may have to get another diesel, not like that breaks my heart anyways! :)
May break the wife's heart, but she gets over things pretty quickly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i was curious as to how the open space in which you also cook in work with the atvs? Dirt, gas smells, etc. We were thinking about getting a toyhauler but having a wall with a door to separate the atv from dining/living space.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
In the 5 years we've had it, there has never been any "garage" smell in there. I don't store the atv's in it, and neither one has any leaks of any sort. I had the same concerns about odors in there when we bought it, but it has never been an issue. I load them up the day before we head out and then they are only in the camper until we get to camp. The carpet rolls up so they are sitting on a linoleum floor. Just sweep it out when you unload, roll the carpet out and you are good to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
toy haulers-trucks

I have a 40 foot toy hauler and a 1 ton chevy dullie 4 door. Toy haulers by their design a heavier than a normail trailer it's same size.
Look at MORE thruck than you need. Weight and towing spec's aren't always a good way to decide. REMEMBER.... you also need to STOP the weight that you are towing.
I have a road warrior made by Heartland, they make 3-4 different brands of T/H er's. Join thier forum heartland Owners forum and read about t/y and there is tons of infor about trucks to pull them with.
I am not saying you need to get a Road warrior but read what people who own toy haulers have to say about owning and towing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I am looking at the Fuzion Impact line right now, and you are right...they certainly weigh a good bit. I am trying to decide it a TH is worth it as we would be camping quite a bit without the toys as well (lots of state parks here dont allow atv's)...but there are a lot of times I would use it going to Busco and Hatfield....regardless, 1 ton diesel (at minimum) is needed for a lot of these rigs

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was facing this same dilema earlier this year. We had just purchased a new trailer the year before and then the wife decides she would like a ride of her own instead of riding in the Ranger. I ended up getting a good deal on a dually. I removed the box and put a 9ft flat bed on it. It fits my Ranger 400 and her Sportsman with a little extra room. If your toy hauler is your only method of transporting two machines than day rides can be a pain having to drag all that trailer. Or you buy a utility trailer but thats just one more thing to buy and store. I'm a big fan of sled decks and flat decks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
be careful if you plan to travel to other states a 5th wheel and a trailer behind it is not a legal combination in some states, Washington is one of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts