Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with a TPS on a 2007 Sportsman 500. For starters here is the history. The check engine light was on and the machine would sparatically cut out when the throttle was chopped. The machine was taken to the local dealership for diagnosis. Their computer diagnostics said to : "Run test on TPS", this was completed and they found to much resistance to the TPS. They found the "Wiring Harness to the TPS" frayed. The TPS Wiring Harness and TPS were replaced & recalibrated. This made the check engine light go off, but did not fix the problem. It only made it worse. When the throttle was applied it cut out and died immediattly. A different ECU was tried and problem still persisted. I was then informed they thought it was the crank position sensor. With that the Stator was replaced and the problem was not fixed. After this the MAP sensor was replaced and the problem was not fixed. If the TPS is not hooked up the machine will run properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have considered a new throttle body or wiring harness. If i leave the TPS un-hooked and run the machine what or is there a potential hazard.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I was then informed they thought it was the crank position sensor.
I thought the 500 did not have a CPS.....???? Thought only twins had them. If this is correct, you might need to try a different dealer.

Sean

·
11,971 Posts
Someone on here was describing the same symptoms not long ago and found bad wires BELOW the actual TPS harness in the main part of the harness somewhere. You might try searching it. Looks like Polaris had some problems with that model cause they list several "kits" for various parts of the electricals.

8 2410769 Harness, Main [MN50AF/AN/AT/AY][Incl. 9, Fuse Link Kits, Harness Kits] 1 USAGE
8 2202670 Kit, Fusible Link, 1mm 1 USAGE
8 2410861 Harness, Main [MH50AB/AL/AQ/AX/AY/AZ][If built before 4/18/07][Incl. 9, Fuse Link Kit, Harness Kits] 1 USAGE
8 2411003 Harness, Main [MH50AB/AL/AQ/AX/AY/AZ][If built after 4/18/07][Incl. 9, Fuse Link Kit, Harness Kits] 1 USAGE
8 2876315 Kit, Harness, Engine Map Sensor 1 USAGE
8 2875900 Kit, Harness, Engine Air Temp 1 USAGE
8 2875901 Kit, Harness, Engine Injector 1 USAGE
8 2878498 Kit, Harness, TPS 1 USAGE
9 2204890 Kit, Harness, Resistor Module

1 - 4 of 4 Posts