Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got a 550 just put tracks on. I had a 50" now traded for a 60". Think I got the width covered now the length of push tubes. It's a moose county plow mostly do straight plowing if it doesn't work well will put side shields on both sides. Anyways should I just extend the square tubing if I do that where should I mount loop for winch. How much should I extend it. Now the loop is more closer to the plow will mounting a loop on the tubing bend at some point. I would like to see a plow/tracks setup with a moose plow/ tubing. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just installed a Polaris Glacier Plow with a 66" poly blade and track extension on my 2014 X2 with Tatou tracks. I am anxious for snow now. The 66" blade just covered the width of the machine at full angle. There is about a 3" over hang when in the center position. I have about 22" of clearance below the bottom of the blade and the ground. I will try to get some pics up this weekend.

Mike

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I guess you could extend the plow tubes yourself. I know eagle makes longer tubes for tracks and UTV's. I would say that you need to move the mounting point for the winch cable up towards the plow, to relive any stress of 12"+ the plow hanging off the lift point.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
If you want to modify your existing push tubes, here is what I think I would do..... I would select a section of the push tube with no bends, cross members, ect. Cut the tube in the same spot both sides, square to the tubing. Find a length of tubing that will fit inside the push tube tubing (cut to 1+ feet?? - to be determined**) x2. Slide them into the push tubes and drill 1/2" holes on both sections on both sides.... now install 4 hitch pins and pin clips to secure. Much like that of your trucks reciever hitch concept.

** Note: The true length of your "extentions" will need to be determined by rotating the plow blade with the tracks on, to assure propper clearance....... remember to turn the wheels/tracks full cock each way (left & right) when checking clearacne!!!

If the lift point than needs to be moved, I'd just weld or clamp (U-bolts) a cross member onto the push tubes back from the original @ the distance you made your push tube extensions. Bolt an eyelet to the cross member and..... Bingo!

Reminder...... after making tube extensions, slide them back to original length and drill a third set of holes for the hitch pins to hold them at the original length, should you ever plow with the tires on. Note, I'd only drill this third hole in the extension tube and reuse the holes drilled in the plows push tubes!!

Hope this makes sence or helps point you in the right direction to get your mental gears 'a' grinding!! :D

Post pics when you get something figured out..... as I'm sure it would help many others!!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Good info right there!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I got it done. What I did was cut it inserted 11 gauge square tubing inside older tubes about 4 inches inside on both ends of extension. Welded solid made extension right on 12 inches pretty close when blade is turned. Also welded another cross brace like the one closer to front of plow. Took some half inch rod and welded 12 inches back from origininal hook point. It snowed today but didn't do any plowing will tomorrow. I will take some more pictures once a take it off atv.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Nice job!! Bring on the white stuff :)

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Nice work..... looks like an awesome ice fishing unit now!!

Great minds think alike! As you did almost exactly what I was thinking / posted. I think if it were me (for my machine), I would have made it a "modular" style setup (holes w/ hitch pins & clips) as opposed to welded solid. Just for adjustability sake for the tracks vs. tires times of use. But it's yours and it will work for what you wanted it too!!

Great work and a feeling of a job well done..... now go plow some snow!!!

Edit: How much snow did you guys get in SD? What area of the state are you located? I'm located about 25 miles east of Wahpeton ND, in Fergus Falls MN. We've gotten about 8-10" total, over the past couple days. So I "enjoyed me a little plow time" last night while my son rode on the back seat!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Good point..... As the longer push tubes will deffinately add more force on the mounts when pushing with the blade at an angle. But i'd think some type of automotive gas-charged lift support (like that on hoods and rear hatch windows shocks) could be added to either side to aid with that (also supply a little extra down force)....... attach to the underside of the floor board via ball mount and to the push tubes via ball mount. Even something as simple as a steel cable, length measured in "plow down" position??? If my thought process is followed..... :idea:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The bars are very narrowly spaced for these length!
Going to put a hell of a lot of pressure on the mount, keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
993 Posts
well to the OP how does the plow work?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts