Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Is there any possible modifications to do to increase power in powersteering when using tracks? Anyone tested to disconnect the speedo to increase the power at higher speeds? Thnx.

Polaris 850XP -12

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If I remember correctly, disconnecting the speedo will create a loss of 4WD.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am looking for a solution for tracks doubling the mileage on my machine. Next fall the tracks are going on but I really dont want to put so many miles on the machine. I wonder if the power steering could be direct wired to bypass the speed sensitivity.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking for a solution for tracks doubling the mileage on my machine. Next fall the tracks are going on but I really dont want to put so many miles on the machine. I wonder if the power steering could be direct wired to bypass the speed sensitivity.
Exactly! I hope there is possible to solve this..

Polaris 850XP -12

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Talk to your dealer,.......wonder if there is a way to reprogram the speedometer or use a converter

·
Registered
377 Posts
What is the problem that you're trying to solve?
I think I understand that when you put tracks on, it doubles the mileage because the tracks turn once for two hub revolutions, but how does power steering figure into this? Or is this two separate issues, the second one being that power steering boosts less when the speedo thinks the ATV is going faster?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
OP posted two separate questions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the problem that you're trying to solve?
I think I understand that when you put tracks on, it doubles the mileage because the tracks turn once for two hub revolutions, but how does power steering figure into this? Or is this two separate issues, the second one being that power steering boosts less when the speedo thinks the ATV is going faster?
The powersteering is progressive, The faster you go, the less power the EPS delivers. When using tracks the speedo shows to high speed and reduces EPS power.

Polaris 850XP -12

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sorry about my terrible swedish-school-english. Hope someone can understand.

Polaris 850XP -12
Your english is 100x better than my Swedish!

Ha en bra dag. Hoppas yoyu få problemet rätas ut.

Wish I could help, simply have no suggestions. The problem, as I see it, is the fact that with the tracks, the steering box is already being told the machine is traveling faster than it is. So the power steering is reduced at an even slower speed. The only fix is to somehow correct the speedometer discrepancy with the tracks installed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about my terrible swedish-school-english. Hope someone can understand.

Polaris 850XP -12
Your english is 100x better than my Swedish!

Ha en bra dag. Hoppas yoyu få problemet rätas ut.

Wish I could help, simply have no suggestions. The problem, as I see it, is the fact that with the tracks, the steering box is already being told the machine is traveling faster than it is. So the power steering is reduced at an even slower speed. The only fix is to somehow correct the speedometer discrepancy with the tracks installed.
Haha :) thanx and I guess you're right..

Polaris 850XP -12

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Your power steering has a speed sensor wire controlling the input (speed sensor wire is located on the rear of the transmission, running to the front). It might be possible that you can put a toggle switch on that wire so that the power steering would work better at higher speedometer/tracks speeds. As far as the speedo reading goes I think that you may be out of luck. Just a thought?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Go to superatv.com. Look up there power steering kit for your atv. Download the instructions. It will show you which wire to connect to so that there power steering unit will work progressively on there unit. You need to simply cut this wire (the speed sensor wire). This may fix your problem. Im not 100% sure this will work but it is worth a try.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Unplugging the speed sensor on the transmission disables the Polaris factory EPS on my X2. Dakota digital makes a nice speedometer converter that take a Hall effect input like the factory speed sensor, might be worth giving them a call. Their part number for it is SGI-5. Hardest part looks to be finding a water-proof spot to mount it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Go to superatv.com. Look up there power steering kit for your atv. Download the instructions. It will show you which wire to connect to so that there power steering unit will work progressively on there unit. You need to simply cut this wire (the speed sensor wire). This may fix your problem. Im not 100% sure this will work but it is worth a try.
That will fix his power steering assist, but it will also disable FWD.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That will fix his power steering assist, but it will also disable FWD.
It did not disable my AWD on my 2010 X2. Just made it vary scary to drive when I got over 40mph. Thats why I said to put it on a toggle switch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unplugging the speed sensor on the transmission disables the Polaris factory EPS on my X2. Dakota digital makes a nice speedometer converter that take a Hall effect input like the factory speed sensor, might be worth giving them a call. Their part number for it is SGI-5. Hardest part looks to be finding a water-proof spot to mount it.
You mean the converter makes the speedo show the correct speed with tracks? In that case, how do I get in touch with dakota digital? (I'm Swedish)

Polaris 850XP -12

·
Registered
575 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts