Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ice fishing season is getting close and I am thinking about installing tracks on my 08 Sportsman 500. Pros and cons of putting on tracks? Any preference on type, etc. ?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
from what a friend told me is there are awsome for snow and you can go places a sled wont. the drawbacks are there harder to steer , and you might have to keep it in low being a 500, you lose a lot of speed and power with the tracks .If a had the money to spare i would get a set myself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a set of protracks but have yet to use them. My understanding is they cut your top speed down to 80% which is no big deal. As far as the diffrence in steering I think it might be what your use to as far as tires, I've got 27" swampers and there hard to push around. With the pro tracks you can allso adjust the front tracks making the ground contact shorter or longer this will make it more "loose or tight".

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
tracks can take you places in the snow that sleds get stuck in. bigger sled rental companies will usually have an ATV with tracks to rescue their sleds when the noobs get them stuck. almost all will cut your top speed down by some because they are re-geared within the track to give you better "torque" since they create more friction then a wheel does. in snow and mud turning force isnt bad, but on hardpack, gravel, concrete, ect. it is noticably harder to turn.

a think to keep in mind is whether the tracks you get only have hifax. The older track systems did, so you had to keep the tracks wet, (ie. mud, snow, water) otherwise the hifax would burn up. the newer ones usually will have a bunch of boogie wheels so you can run the tracks in dry conditions without chewing up anytype of hifax, or worse, buring up the tracks...so just keep that in mind. a newer set of tracks with boogie wheels and approved for dry conditions is the only way to go IMO

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to say coming off riding off-trail sleds, a fourwheeler on tracks will not go where a sled can, but they are pretty cool!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
^^you would be surpised. not even close to being as fast but they can handle the deeper powder okay. a lot less likely to get stuck in powder as well

·
Registered
421 Posts
id have to agree wit hblue. just for the fact your turning 4 tracks insted of just one with 2 ski's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been going crazy to put my tracks on, they came with my atv but I'm missing the mounting assembly guide for the brackets that attach from the atv to the tracks, (have a rough Idea how they go on but can't figure out the order of the rubber and steel bushins.) Once I get them on I will definitly give a honest opinion what I think, because I'm toying with the idea of selling them if I'm not going to get alot of use out of them.
I've also been watching alot of web video's on tracks and its insane the winter terrian they can go through, spots where snowmobiles would never come close to getting through.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just put my prospector pro tracks on, Anyone that says it's hard to steer with the tracks on is out to lunch. I found the front end way to twitchy and need to tighten up the stabalizing bars on the front. Just went for a quick lap on them and found the more slop (powder and mud) the better. If the terrian is packed you feel everything, I'm hoping a shock adjustment might make for a more comfortable ride. Even though they are all season I think they would be best for someone who is going to get the use out of them for winter. It does make the quad look like something out of mad max, measuring 4'6" by 8'6"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts