Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a non-running 97 Trail Blazer 250. It seemed a good idea at the time. It was cheap. I have no owners manual but I have one on order.
Can someone tell me about the transmission servicng? I found the dipstick and it needs fluid. What type fluid? I found no fill hole other than where the dipstick goes. Is there a filter and if so where is it located? Does this engine have an oil filter and dipstick?
I would have asked the seller but he was non english speaking and was not the rider. It belonged to his son who I think got napped and sent back.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Maybe they had a manual in Spanish?

Just kidding welcome to the board!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just bought a non-running 97 Trail Blazer 250. It seemed a good idea at the time. It was cheap. I have no owners manual but I have one on order.
Can someone tell me about the transmission servicng? I found the dipstick and it needs fluid. What type fluid? I found no fill hole other than where the dipstick goes. Is there a filter and if so where is it located? Does this engine have an oil filter and dipstick?
I would have asked the seller but he was non english speaking and was not the rider. It belonged to his son who I think got napped and sent back.

Any help would be appreciated.

i use polaris agl synthetic gearcase lubricant in my 05 tb trans . just fill it through the dip stick hole .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I got this old dog up and running. The carb needed reworking. I have discovered another problem. If I don't turned the fuel valve to off it will leak a small amount overnight. Enoght to really stink up the place.
I would appeciate fany advice rom you old pros where I should start looking first for the problem. I see a new fuel valve is about $32 and would take at least a week to get.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could it be the needle and seat in the carb not seating properly causing it to run out the overflow?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Open the base of the carb, there are 2 floats in the carb. If you notice there is a small copper plate that moves up and down that the floats come in contact with. Pull the pin out holding this plate in place( the pivot point) and remove the plate. Hanging from this plate is a small missle looking piece. When the bowl fills, the floats float up and push on this metal plate. This plate in turn pushed the missle piece up and seats it into the carb shutting it off. Think kinda like how your toilet works at home :).

If u want to adj this metal plate, bend the little tab that attaches to the missle either up or down in order to make the valve close sooner or later then it should. I did it 3 times before i bent it to the exact spot where the bowl fills all the way but doesnt leak all over the place through the overflows.

You may just need a new missle piece because the oring on it may be bad. This is included in a rebuild kit.

There are no oil filters on the bike. The trans lubes its self by tossing the oil around inside. The engine has the oil pump to lube it then it burns the oil off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem on my 96 Trailblazer. Just rebuilt the carb and changed the fuel shut off switch No more leak. But it was that missile leaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts