Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am fairly new to ATV's and this is my first problem with my quad. Its an 03 or 04 trail boss 330. It has been great up until today. I was going through some fairly deep ice/water and about 10 minutes later going up hill it began grinding/slipping. It sounds like it is coming from the clutch assembly rather than the gearbox. It also has a more plastic grinding sound rather than metal on metal. It runs fine under low weight but as soon as it is under a moderate amount of load it makes a pretty bad sound. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
Welcome!

If you are mechanically inclined, then this will be an easy look see....

You will need to take the clutch cover off to do some inspecting. Sounds like the belt is starting to shred and hitting the cover. Best not be taking it out for a run until you do. Also take a look a the seal around the cover as water has most likely entered and caused some slippage....This is where I would start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have worked on a lot of outboards so hopefully some skills will cross over. I am hoping that it is as something as small as a belt. I will get at it in the morning and take a look.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have worked on a lot of outboards so hopefully some skills will cross over. I am hoping that it is as something as small as a belt. I will get at it in the morning and take a look.

No problem. Hopefully it is a belt. Just remember to clean the clutches since your in there. Water= no good in clutch area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not the drive belt transmission ?

Well unfortunately it was not the drive belt. I got the cover off and that was fine. Sound seems to come from gear case. Dang! Is there any adjustments or am I looking at a big project?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sorry to hear about this...unfortunately if grinding is what you're hearing in the case, I don't think adjustments will do anything. I haven't had the privilege in cracking one open so, this seems to be a bit larger project than what you were hoping for. I am sure someone can chime in to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well today I am a lucky guy who feels a little stupid. It was actually just a loose chain. It was hoping off the small sprocket under load. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sweet........A much easier fix. Slack adjuster and keep lubed. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get this worked out I'm having trouble in the same way and was told to clean the clutch ? But not sure how to do that. Any help would be great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts