Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone give me some insight on how to wind up the pull starter? One of the bolts that hold the cover on was broken so I removed the cover so I could drill and ez out the broken bolt which worked out well but when I removed the cover I uncoiled the pull start and I’m not quite sure how to put it back together properly lol i haven’t put it back on the quad but I coiled it up and put the pull starter back on the case and when I pull on it it spins and recoils but doesn’t seem like it recoils as fast as it did before I want to make sure I got it together right so I don’t put it on and pull it over and brake it or something.
Here’s some photos of what I’m working with. Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Idk if that helps. If you look at my photos there’s 3 notches on the plastic wheel and the rope is through one of the notches but I’m pretty sure it was originally around all 3 then spooled up idk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found this video it looks the same as mine and it doesn’t look like it goes through any of the grooves it looks like he just wrapped it around the spool

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
The rope goes into the rounded out groove so the pulley can be pre-wound prior to installing the rope into the handle and knotting it.

The pages are from the 2003 manual - I just had to guess as to what year and model you have. 95 to 2013 - 250, 300, 325, 330? They are all the same right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rope goes into the rounded out groove so the pulley can be pre-wound prior to installing the rope into the handle and knotting it.

The pages are from the 2003 manual - I just had to guess as to what year and model you have. 95 to 2013 - 250, 300, 325, 330? They are all the same right?
Mines an 88 actually haha but yeah I think they’re all the same

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put it back together and when I pulled on it it seemed like it was working and recoiling so I put in on the quad and pulled it over and it didn’t recoil so I took it back off and once I took the bolts out it coiled back up. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put it back together and when I pulled on it it seemed like it was working and recoiling so I put in on the quad and pulled it over and it didn’t recoil so I took it back off and once I took the bolts out it coiled back up. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong
I got it working. I think it was dirty or I was over winding it too much cause I gave it a good cleaning like in the video I shared and I only spun the case once this time before I was spinning it 3 times

1 - 9 of 9 Posts