Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked and looked and just didn't like what I saw for mounting a winch to my wife's TB! SO, I made my own!!

I had previously bought a Suzuki EIGER mount and could not return it. So this was my basis for this project. I positioned it in a couple spots, but didn't care for any of them until I put it on top of the front push bar. It fit pretty good, with just about 1/2" of side to side movement. I knew the push bar mounted with four bolts. Two at the top that passed thru the frame, then two more under the nose of the quad. Other mounts mounted to this and I didn't like it for strength.

I took two pieces of one and one quarter by quarter inch thick steel and ran it up on either side of the EIGER mount. It sat too high, so I chopped the sides off the mount and now it sat nice and lo on the front cross bar. I drilled those pieces of steel and welded a nut to each. Then installed them into position on either side of the eiger winch plate and tacked them together. then I took another piece of 1/4" diamond plate and made a front piece. I tapped the two holes in the push bar and made corresponding holes to hold the plate in-place. Then tack welded it to the assembly. Now I removed the whole thing for finish welding and painting.

I am VERY pleased with what I have and had to share!! It sits directly on the front tube and is held in by two 5/16 grade 8 bolts at the top and two more 5/16 grade 8 bolts in the front. Its VERY solid and being wedged between the push bar is solid for side pulls too.

Here is some pics as the paint was drying.

Here are the finished pics:

I may add a couple Lil gussets to the fairlead mount. Kinda looks weak to my eye. But I do tend to over build stuff.

What do you think?

CW

·
Registered
324 Posts
is it more then the one bolt to hold it on? if not add two more to the front if possible.

be sure to use grade 8 hardware when mounting...

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If your asking about the winch itself, I agree. Its got two metric grade 8.8 bolts approx 5/16" in size.

If asking on the mount, there are four 5/16 grade 8 bolts holding the mount on. Two in the front you can see and two more that pass thru the frame, front bumper then end in my welded in nuts up under the "hood". All grade 8 or better hardware.

it doesn't seem like enough, but even the 9500 LB winch on my jeeps are held on with only four 3/8" grade 8 bolts.

CW

·
Registered
324 Posts
The breaking strength of one grade 8 5/16" bolt is about 7800 lbs. Your fine with four it's all good. In the pictures I only saw the two nuts and thought that may be a bit on the lean side. Especially if you used grade 5 or lower bolts.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Especially if you used grade 5 or lower bolts.
EXCELLENT EYES!!! Those lower bolts in that pic ARE grade 5. Just what I had in the bolt bucket on the bench. I replaced them with Grade 8 later in the day!

Thanks for the stats on a 5/16" bolt. WOW, I didn't know it was so much!!

Years back when I put my first winch on my Jeep. I made up that mount and bolted everything together with 1/2" Grade 8 bolts and 1/4" steel, only to find the winch mounted to my base with four 3/8" bolts.... I was worried, but it was for naught as I have all but hung my jeep from that winch and those four 3/8" bolts are holding strong!!!

CW

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks awesome man! I have the same bike and have been wanting to put a winch on it forever. you know of any mounts that'd fit our bikes similar to the way you made yours to fit?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anyone has any links to a winch mount that will fit a 93 Trail Boss 2x4 I’d greatly appreciate any help!!! If not, cwlongshot are you interested in making another like yours and sell it? I’d definitely be interested in buying!!! I’m having trouble finding any kind of mount and the only one I did find, I’m gonna have to make some sort of plate and mount it to the rack and I’m afraid it may be in front of the headlight!!! :( I’m new to the form, thanks!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts