Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched with no results so I figured I'd post this here.

Being new to the ATV world and already having an 8-day trip to Hatfield McCoy planned next July, I have been thinking about all of the extras that may need to go along just incase, but everytime I think of 1 thing, 2 or 3 more thoughts pop into my mind and it seems I am never in a place to write things down. What I am trying to avoid is a mad scramble to assemble a stock of the less obvious things the day before we leave out.

I thought it might be helpful if the seasoned trail vets of this forum would post things they take with them, and things they wish they would have had, in an effort to help the new guys out.

Thanks in advance
JJ

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here is what I have thrown most of this in to my under seat box and have needed almost everything on the list from time to time.

>1/4" socket set, 7mm up to 15mm
>a few different 1/4" extensions
>1/4" rathcet

>Tire plug kit with extra plugs and rubber cement

>SMALL 12v inflator

(I got ALL the above from Harbor Freight for very little $$)

>Spare Spark Plug
>Spare Belt

>Baby Wipes (Sounds odd, but when out on the trail for hours at a time, its nice to clean off your hands and face quickly)
>TP
>A couple extra pairs of cheap brown jersey gloves
>rag or towel
>first aid kit
>MAPS

I am pretty sure that covers everything from me.

While riding I have had ALL the following things happen to me:
1. Shredded a belt (Belt, tools)
2. Sucked water into airbox, needed to dry it out and replace plug (tools, plug, rag)
3. cut fingers working on belt (First Aid Kit)
4. Had to go #1 and #2 (wipes and TP) :)
5. Got lost (Maps)
6. Hole in tire (plugs and inflator)

·
Registered
399 Posts
All of the above,plus a GPS is always handy. Even with maps the GPS saved me from getting lost a few times. Breaker bar and socket to get your tires off,also some ratchet straps if you blow a tire off the rim or a ball joint.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi. You mentioned having ratchet straps for doing tire repairs. Does that really work for resetting the tire bead? I hadn't thought of that.
I was thinking of keeping a spare wheel and tire at the truck so I could ride back with my wife's atv if I damaged a tire and couldn't fix it with plugs. I have a 2007 Sportsman 500 and an 800 by the way. I was thinking a front tire and wheel would work as a spare for the front or rear if needed. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi. You mentioned having ratchet straps for doing tire repairs. Does that really work for resetting the tire bead? I hadn't thought of that.
I was thinking of keeping a spare wheel and tire at the truck so I could ride back with my wife's atv if I damaged a tire and couldn't fix it with plugs. I have a 2007 Sportsman 500 and an 800 by the way. I was thinking a front tire and wheel would work as a spare for the front or rear if needed. Any thoughts?
Can't go wrong having a spare back at the truck. The ratchet strap trick is just to get you out of the bush. It does work, only had to do it once. The worst part is getting the strap off, watch your fingers.

Oh,and another good little trick I picked up is when a rock goes through your alloy wheel. It happened to my buddy in the middle of a ride and had to ride out on a perfectly good flat tire. Keep duct tape and cotton balls with you. Plug the hole with the cotton balls then wrap it in duct tape. Should hold air to get you out.

As far as the front rim and tire for a spare,don't see why that wouldn't work as long as they are the same size as the others.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
.........Sportsman 500 and an 800 by the way. I was thinking a front tire and wheel would work as a spare for the front or rear if needed. Any thoughts?
That's what I bring every trip.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Tow strap, shackles, and a snatch block. I also carry a collapsible shovel, hatchet and an air pump. I would agree the front tire would work as a spare

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the good information. You mentioned having a GPS and I'm planning to get one. What model(s) do you recommend.
I have Garmin E Trek 20. Works great for what I use it for, but there are lots of options out there.

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
this is the list i came up with for HMT: dust mask, rain gear, helmet, safety glasses, googles, 1st aid kit, ratchet strap, rubber boots, spare quad key, fuel treatment, fluids, knife, gloves, trail maps, h2o, nature valley bars, gatorade packs, beef jerky, trail mix, red bull, gatorade energy chews, freezer packs, plug kit, 12v tire pump, tp guage, tool kit (magnet,needle nose,10in1 screw driver,channel locks), duct tape, electrical tape, tow strap, jumper cables, roto-pax gas can, tie-wire, baby wipes, fuses, terry cloth towels, deep woods off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wrapping wheel in duct tape.

I got a hole in my alloy wheel. I drove out on the flat. How are you wrapping the duct tape to hold in the cotton balls?

Why not try and force in tire plugs?

When I got my hole I would have had to remove the wheel to work on the hole. I now carry a little screw jack and wrench for lug nuts.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Wrapping wheel in duct tape.

I got a hole in my alloy wheel. I drove out on the flat. How are you wrapping the duct tape to hold in the cotton balls?

Why not try and force in tire plugs?

When I got my hole I would have had to remove the wheel to work on the hole. I now carry a little screw jack and wrench for lug nuts.
I haven't tried it myself yet, I read it somewhere else. After it happened to my buddy. The rock went inside his wheel wearing a big hole. Ya you have to take the wheel off and put the wad of cotton over the hole,then wrap wheel with duct tape.

Ya tire plugs would work I guess for smaller holes.

Just thought it might be an option before riding out on a flat wrecking a tire. He just ended up putting a tube in it. After getting out the tire had two gashes in the sidewall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts