Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ALL,
I purchased a 2001 Polaris Trailblazer today, and when I got it home had troubles starting it. It being a 2 stroke, thought it might have a filed plug. So i pulled the plug and changed it. Looked normal. I got her fired up and was warming it up going around the house. Noted when the machine was idling it was ready to stall. Thought it might need adjusted.

Ran it around the yard a few times and then took it across the field. On my return home the quad just stalled. Could not get it to fire back up. Sounded like it was trying too but never did.

I pulled the carb off the machine and took it apart. To my surprise the carb was very clean and had new guts in it. Prior owner told me he had it rebuilt by his friend. When I was starting to reinstall the carb i noticed the oil injector hose was not connected to the intake injector. Hose was broke where it made the elbow. I found a extra hose i had and redid the line. BUT... i cannot get it to fire up still.

Did the motor get screwed up from this? I would imagine if the motor seized then it wouldnt turn over at all. Does anyone know what may be the issue? I would appreciate any assistance you can offer. If the quad is still able to run would love to keep it. Hate to return it unless its jacked.

THX

Kevin

·
Registered
90 Posts
a compression test would be quick way to see if the engine is damaged otherwise it could be fuel problem like a plugged filter

·
Registered
619 Posts
2x on compression test, no oil for how long and how hard did you ride it when you got it lit?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the gas line filter off and emptied the fuel out of it. Blew on it on both sides and felt a breeze.

When I road it at the time of purchase we only drove it shortly since his yard was small. Didnt get on it hard there. When i took out at my house, was never on the throttle hard. When we went to the field would say 1/2 throttle. Never was at top speed. I would guess no oil for bout an hour.

Soon as i seen that hose hanging i knew there was an issue. Heart sunk.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would say if you got lucky, you will at the very least need rings. You will have to check the compression, and decide where to go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called local shop to see how much it costs to get it done. Only few bucks, but i gotta haul it there LOL... Trying to get my hands on a "borrow" tester so i dont have to pay for one. Seems like all the ones i seen at stores are starting at 75 bucks and up. What is the magic number i should get when i do it if its good? Or is there a range it should be in?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Got a Northern tool or sears nearby? They should have a tester for about $30. And a good shop should test it for free. Take out spark plug, put in tester, crank over and read. Takes about 2 min. Need at least 100psi for it to run. 125-130 would be normal for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What was the compression?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a compression tester, but was not able to thread it on since there was only like 3 inches room between the gas tank and the plug area. One I had was hose that attached to the gauge. I'm taking it over to the local Polaris Dealer tomorrow after work. When i spoke to there shop people, they seem to think it was only top end that will need to be redone. So I am hoping that will be all. Everyone that hears it turn over say bout the same thing "sounds likes its got some compression, just not enough to fire"

So i will find out shortly what it will take to fix.

THX all for your help with this so far.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fingers crossed for you! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I havnt replied back to this thread yet... Been waiting on my ATV Shop to give final answer. It was the top end that was bad. Shop had to send out to get machined and then new parts. They put it back together and it fired up.

Was pretty noisy i heard, so they thought the bearings were bad for the crank. They are waiting on them to come in and put them in.

Hopefully i get quad back soon... Kids & Wife cannot wait to go riding on it.

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I have a 1992 trailblazer and I'm rebuilding the top end was wondering if there is a clutch kit out there under a hindered bucks if you can help with ideas and or how to that would be very helpful thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quad was returned and all it grand. New top end, and new bearings for the bottom end. Purrs like a kitten.

THX all for all the help and assistance you have given

Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts