Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I didnt get any responces on here about a stabilizer so I figured I would post some images of what I went ahead and installed on our trailblazer so perhaps it can help someone else whos looking for the same result. I put stabilizers on my bikes and quads but didnt like the stick style mounting options on the trailblazer and scrambler.

I just bought this 03 trailblazer and on day one , prior to getting a stabilizer on it, my 14 yr old daughter , whos experienced , clipped a big root ball on the edge of a whoop trail and the bars got ripped from her hands, she went over the front end and rolled the quad.

Many thanks to James at CCP for getting me what I needed for the trailblazer and for making a solid, high quality product at a great price !!

This is a MUST HAVE upgrade IMO. Years ago, I installed the Denton stick style stabilizer on our first modded Kasea 70 ( $ 125.00 ) and it helped in a big way. My daughter was then able to fly thru whoop sections. And though its a good stabilizer, I had a Scotts stabilizer on my KTM EXC 250 and knew I wanted to go with a puck style this time for the trailblazer, BUT, I didnt want to spend $ 500 to do it ! I also had a Denton stick style on our scrambler 400 4x4 but the mounting options suck !

So I did some searching and found just the right guy. James Johnson - CCP Stabilizers. His stabilizers get great reviews and I can now say from experience , perform just as well as the $ 500 units , and he does it for $150.00 ish. !!! I say " ish" because I had him include an additional longer linkage arm so that I had mounting options and also had him include an 8" x 8" x 1/4" aluminum plate for the mounting surface that I was planning. I paid $ 175.00 for the whole setup , with the plate and the extra linkage arm.

I contacted John and had him send me a stabilizer with a 3 1/8" linkage arm ( which he uses for raptors ) and he also sent a 5" linkage arm. The 3 1/8" arm turned out to the perfect fit. I'll explain why below. My stock 03 steering stem is 1" so naturally , I had him send me a clamp for a 1" stem. Check your stem before ordering in case yours is 7/8 ".

So for the those interested..... here's what I did late one night with some time on my hands. Improvise however you like, but this was my method.

I planned it out...

1. You need a solid flat surface ( plate ) in front of the steering stem to mount the stabilizer body... I went with 1/4" thick aluminum plate. I planned on welding in additional supports under the stock steering stem plate, but it turns out I didnt need to. Its plenty strong.

This is the stabilizer with the 3 1/8" linkage arm. He sends it like this all assembled. Do Not take the linkage apart. There is no need. Leave it all together except for the pc that clamps to the stem which is removed in this pic.

[/URL][/IMG]

2. I clamped the aluminum plate to a wood block and used a 1 3/4" holesaw to cut out the space to clear the stock 1" steering stem. Obviously this hole needs to be at the center of the plate so mark a good center line... youre gonna need it !

[/URL][/IMG]

3. The distance between the 2 stock vertical frame " towers" on the Trailblazer is actually about 7 3/4" inside to inside, so I clipped off the back 2 corners of the plate so it would clear the frame towers and allow me to position the plate as needed.

Once I had a rough idea of where the stabilizer would mount , I clipped off the excess plate material on the 2 front corners for a cleaner look ( no need for all that extra material) Though around the stock steering stem , I wanted to leave as much material as possible for the strength of the plate. ( I can always unbolt and remove it when its time to replace the steering stem bearing thats now covered by the plate )

Now position the plate around the steering stem on the quad and clamp it into place on top of the stock steel plate. Then from underneath , trace the 2 stock 3/8" holes onto the plate. ( my stock plate had a 3/8" hole on either side of the stem ) Remove the plate and drill the two 3/8" holes.

Now put the plate back onto the quad and insert 3/8" bolts thru the 2 holes to be sure they line up and clamp the plate to the quad again. With the plate in position, now you need to position the stabilizer so you can mark and drill the mounting holes for the stabilizer body.

Here is what it should like like. ( this pic was taken after I marked and drilled the holes for the stabilizer body.. refer back if needed )

[/URL][/IMG]

With the steering aimed dead straight , and the aluminum plate positioned, now you need to position the stabilizer. Mark a small center line on the front bottom edge of the stabilizer body. This will line up with the center line on your plate which is dead center with the steering stem.

Here is ultimately what all your holes will look like. Get here however you like but the rest of my description is how i did it to make sure everything lined up.

[/URL][/IMG]

Place the stem clamp on the stem at 90 degrees and just snug it up temporarily. Now position the stabilizer directly in front of the stem so that everything is centered and the arms are 90 degrees.

Here is where I had to eyeball things just a little. I wanted the 2 stabilizer mounting holes that were closest to the stem , to be mounted thru the stock steel plate as well as the aluminum for max strength. With everything centered, I made sure those 2 holes were directly above the 1/2" lip of stock steel plate thats in front of the stem. Now mark those 2 holes from top down thru the stabilizer body with a sharpie.

Pull the plate off ( leave stabilizer in place dangling ) and drill those 2 - 5 1/6" holes in the aluminum plate, then put the plate back in position on the quad. Line it all up again making sure your moutning holes are directly over that steel lip. ... Now Swing the stabilizer out of the way and with a scratch awl , mark those 2 holes on the steel plate and drill them out the same 5 1/6".

[/URL][/IMG]

Now bolt it up and mark the 2 remaining holes. NOte: when looking at this image... from underneath, you can see i placed 2 washers between the stock plate and the aluminum plate where the 2 rear bolts are coming thru that mount the stabilizer body, I did this to pitch the plate up so it was at a perfect right angle to the steering stem. The stock plate is welded in and may or may not be dead square ( at a 90 degree angle ) with the steering stem. Its important that the new plate is at 90 degrees to the steering stem to eliminate undo stress on the stabilizer arm. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Shim as needed !

[/URL][/IMG]

Now bolt it all up with Nylon Lock nuts and youre all set. When all is said and done... Here is what you'll have. The kit came with the bolts for the stabilizer but no lock nuts. You'll also need the 2- 3/8" x 1 1/2" bolts and nuts.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Not only does it work GREAT, this is a solid stabilizer. I race Enduros and took this out for a blast before and after and theres a huge difference. It has 8 settings on the dial from soft to hard. If you're looking for a stabilizer for your trailblazer.... Contact James at CCP !

custom-cnc-parts in eBay Motors| eBay

I hope this helped some people. Ride hard !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bait.

Hopefully when someone is looking for a solution for a good stabilizer / damper, they'll find the thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice! I also have a 2003 Trailblazer and would be very interested in purchasing a cut and marked plate from you. If this is something you might think about, please contact: [email protected]

noxtras , I didnt make a template for the plate and I dont have any extra aluminum plate material laying around. Sorry. Give it a try though, it really wasnt hard at all. James at CCP wil send you the plate material. Maybe if he gets enough requests for trailblazer units he'll start making up the plates. He has seen this thread so maybe you can talk him into at least making the basic shape of the plate with the half circle cut out for the steering post. Then all you'll have to do is drill the small holes to mount it to the quad.

Worth a try !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very nice. I will have to do this to the wifes

Cool... That might earn you some brownie points ! Not as many as cleaning the house and doing all the laundry but hey, we do what we can right ? My wife looked at this setup and said something to the effect of..

" yeah hun, thats nice, whats for dinner?? " such a smart alic she is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this a problem with the Trailblazer or is this a wanted change?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this a problem with the Trailblazer or is this a wanted change?
There is no problem with the stock setup. It just depends on what type of riding you're doing. If youre joy riding casualy in open areas the benefits of the stabilizer wont be noticed as much. However , if youre riding in trails or areas where there is uneven terrain and obstacles like roots and rocks that can suddenly rip the bars out of one hand while slapping the other hand or wrist violently, the stabilizer is your best friend.

Though I will add that even if you are riding in that open field and you hit the throttle, the stabilizer will give the rider a much greater sense of control by eliminating the majority of the side to side vibration in the handlebars. All it takes is one good rut to catch a front tire and take you somewhere you dont wanna go !

I personally feel its a must for younger riders who dont have the physical strength of an adult to keep the bike pointed straight ahead when they meet up with that obstacle. So consider it a safety feature in that respect. Not to mention it greatly reduces " arm pump" so the rider doesnt get fatigued so quickly and can therefore ride longer without feeling beat up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the great write up. I'm going to try something similar on my wifes Scrambler 400 4x4 as I can't find anyone that sells a bolt on kit for it anymore. I called AEEN and they don't carry one anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts