Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting a trailer to pull my portable ice house and gear across the lake. how much snow can yall go through pulling a trailer? got a 13 sportsmen 800

·
Registered
294 Posts
Lots of variables go into that. Tire design, chains/no chains, trailer load, trailer design, etc.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the snow, as much as the bare ice spots..... really depends on how much mother nature decides to dump on us this year!

For the bare ice and traction pulling... you may want a set of chains, as no tire will grip the ice pulling a load (unless already in motion).

Usually, by the time you have to worry about enough snow on the ice... there is enough ice to drive your truck out. But I really don't think you'll have a problem as snow on the ice doesn't usually get deeper then a foot or so (unless drifted) and that should be no problem in AWD!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If its just drifts you can plow through them. Your biggest issue will be getting hi-centered.

·
Registered
61 Posts
im getting a trailer to pull my portable ice house and gear across the lake. how much snow can yall go through pulling a trailer? got a 13 sportsmen 800
A foot or deeper has always been my limit. Any more and your overworking the machine and run the risk of constantly getting stuck/buried. Plus, if your pulling something in that deep of snow it will be almost impossible.

I use my sled in these conditions.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Depends where u live and what kind of snow u have as well the snow up here i can push snow with my headlights its to light to ever get high centered unless you fall through a packed down sled trail ....as well tires ,chains, size of trailor...ect

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd go for a sled.
Trailer wheels will bog down with any depth.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Large sled sounds like best option. I have drove through some very deep snow...even better...put a blade on the front and never worry about how deep it gets....

·
Registered
434 Posts
^^^^ yep get a plow u can angle these polaris glacier blades so the snow just gets pushed to one side and your trailer will be fine

·
Registered
264 Posts
here was my set up last year for ice fishing. The trailer is 6 foot by 9 foot. Like stated above, the bare ice is what gets ya. Never really got stuck, just some slipping and sliding. Now that trailer is built into a permanent ice shack. And I'm buying chains cause it weighs a bit more.

·
Registered
264 Posts
here's a better pic of my kids and I going fishing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sled across the lake would definitely be your best bet, or you could get a set of skis for your trailer. Then you can haul your wheeler on the trailer, and throw the skis on when you get to the lake.

These are a bit on the expensive side, but with a little creativity you could rig up something similar with a set of old snowmobile skis.

Of course, if you're spending a lot of time on the lake, you're probably better off with a snowmobile rather than an ATV.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
those r pretty sweet!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts