Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to tow my little trailer but needed lights. I pulled the connector and plugged a 3 flat into a 4 flat. I only have brake lights on the left side. Is there some kind of adaptor I can get?:question:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I was going to tow my little trailer but needed lights. I pulled the connector and plugged a 3 flat into a 4 flat. I only have brake lights on the left side. Is there some kind of adaptor I can get?:question:
Seeing as we dont have to worry about signals just splice in for other side...

We are talking trailer lights for towing with the quad right?

CW

·
Registered
255 Posts
Assuming you're talking about attaching your trailer to a tow vehicle and not an ATV, you probably have a major ground problem. On trailer lighting, ground is everything. If the 3 pin connector is on the trailer, then there is no grounding through it to the tow vehicle. The trailer is depending on establishing a ground through the contact of the trailer tongue to the hitch ball. A very poor way of doing business. Try replacing the 3 pin with a 4 pin on the trailer and make sure you make a good ground to the trailer using a self tapping screw or such into the trailer and be sure to clean the metal around the screw of rust or corrosion and use an eyelet on the ground wire, don't just wrap it around the screw. be sure to check and make sure that the 4 pin connector on your vehicle has a good ground. Bad grounding can cause all sorts of strange problems. NOW, if your tow vehicle has separate turn signal and brake lights, i.e., amber turn signals and red brake lights, you need to wire the tow vehicle using a "combiner" (my word). It's function is to combine the separate turn signal and brake light circuits into one so that the trailer lights will work properly. You can't just wire a 4 pin connector into the tow vehicle wiring and have it work properly. Also, be sure to check the grounding of the individual lights to the trailer. Finally, if your trailer has the older lights that use regular 1157 bulbs, I highly recommend replacing them with LED lights. I did it on my older 5 x 8 trailer that was constantly having lighting problems with loose bulbs, etc. No problems since AND the lights are extremely bright and are easily seen in the daylight, a great safety feature. I bought mine at Wally World/China Mart (AKA WalMart) They come in a package that has a push button that allows you to try them in the store. Cost was about $50, I believe, and well worth it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. I wanted to pull a small trailer with my atv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
OK then, It was a bit vague, but I thought that might be what you where asking...

Now I know a 4pin trailer plug... Green, yellow, Brown and white.

White is GROUND (-)
Brown is marker/clearance lights
Yello is LEFT stop/signal
Green is RIGHT stop/signal

Thats DOT trailer wiring... All we have on the ATV's at least in this country is STOP and TAIL and of coarse ground to complete the circuit. SO, I would get yourself another flat 4 plug and permanently wire it on so if you ever need it again its done. Just use green OR yellow and the brown and of coarse White for ground. Some people use the trailer ball for ground and this is where MANY/MOST problems occur with trailer wiring! YES it will ground thru the ball...most of the time. But its BEST to have a real ground wire.

Using a tracer/ light or meter decide where to steal power from. The splice in and SOLDER connections so its not a head ache down the road. Plug in and your done enjoy life trailering your trailer with your quad!

CW

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea. Thanks dude! That will do the trick! This forum is great!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

1 - 6 of 6 Posts