Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, on the market for a trailer. I am seeing many trailers advertised that would fit the bill but are snowmobile trailers. I think they appear to have smaller wider wheels?

What's the difference of one advertised as an atv trailer?

Does it matter?

Tx

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Snow mobile trailers are wider and lighter then ATV trailers. They're generally made of aluminum and have runners on the floor to protect the ski's. They enclosed snow trailers have an exit door built out of one or both sides of the v-nose.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any reason not to use one for atvs if the money is right? Getting a second ine for the kid later this year. Just want to get a trailer to carry 2 atvs

·
Registered
2017 Sportsmen XP 1000 Touring
116 Posts
I have one of each, a snowmoble and a trailer for the ATV. A trailer is a trailer if the ATV fits, the price is right, and the trailer rating are sufficient to hold your ATV's safely. I assume your talking enclosed. If you have two ATVs how much do they weigh? 1000lbs? I don't think there's a pure ATV trailer but there are storage and landscaping trailers which you can put a ATV into.

I think the biggest issue your going to have in choosing a used trailer, assuming the ramp is supported, is how are you going to tie down the ATV's inside the trailer. For example, I have D-rings hold down tracks in both of my trailers.

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Any reason not to use one for atvs if the money is right? Getting a second ine for the kid later this year. Just want to get a trailer to carry 2 atvs
No reason not to use one. just make sure the rating on the trailer is sufficient to haul the load. I look for something 125% of what I plan max it out at.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Price big part of equation. Will check ratings in what ever i move in.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Check them out good. Aluminum doesn’t rust but look for fatigue cracks and places where aluminum and steel connect. Snow mobile trailers do travel on salty, shi*ty roads generally.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had a Triton 2 place aluminum snowmobile trailer and it was one of the best pulling trailers I ever had. It was wider then the trailer I have now but was a breeze going down the road.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are several types of snowmobile trailers. The simplest design is a tilt bed that comes with or without an aluminum cap (clamshell). Their typucally 101" wide by 10' long, just wide enough to dit two ATVs with several ibches,to spare. If it has the cap, it's hinged at the front and tips open from the rear. With this type of trailer you tip the back of the bed to the ground and drive one ATV onto it, tip it up, tie down the ATV, tip it back down to drive the 2nd ATV onto it, tip it back up and strap that one down. Even the cheapest of these have sufficient capacity to carry two typical ATVs. The only precaution is if it has a cap there might be brackets holding the cap lift assist pistons that will make it too narrow to fit both quads by.
Next, is a similar sized trailer with a non tilting bed, again with or without a cap, called a drive-on/drive-off It also has a v-nose added that projects forward beyond the cap it it has one. It comes with ramps and loads from the rear and unloads from the front. These trailers also will have the Capa it to carry two ATVs. If it has a cap it can be raised from either end to facilitate loading/unloading from either end but same caution applies here to necking down the usable width due to hardware brackets.
Next comes a the hybrid trailer. Typically using the standard 101"x10' non tilting deck with a non hinged aluminum cap. The cap has a full width tilt down door at the rear that acts as a ramp for loading and unload. ATV carrying capacity is not an issue for these trailers either. From here you get into the fully enclosed v-nose or flat front trailers but I don't think the OP is referring to these. But just a,word of caution here - stay away from the in-line models. They're too narrow to fit as many ATVs as they' ll fit snowmobiles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a R&R Hybrid 12 foot snowmobile trailer. I use it for two 2019 570 SP's. They just fit, but it works great. I had to add trailer brakes and air assists for my truck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Skidootwo - good write-up. I have both v-nose and a hybrid. Maybe I'll see you on the trail with my winder.

I was in HF (Harbor Freight) today and saw tie down channel you can bolt to the bottom of a trailer and then use straps, if necessary.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It is easer to use a bike trailer for SM than a SM trailer for ATV. A SM will need a 4 foot wide ramp for loading on a bike trailer. You will soon regret getting a SM trailer for a ATV. There are several BIG difference in the SM trailer and ATV trailer. The SM trailer is lower to the ground and uses a 12 in rim tire. The 12" tire is why the trailer is low to the ground. They tilt for loading so they do not need ramps. When you run the SM on the weight is on the front of the SM and the trailer will return to lever and lock in place. You can now get off the SM and walk around to tie the SM down. On a SM the most weight in on the front, on a ATV the weight is equal front and rear. When the wood deck is wet it will be hard to keep traction. And the bike will want to slide off the trailer. The big disadvantage to the SM trailer is the tires. They have a short life. The will wear in the center or outer edges. Or the left or right side. This is a characteristic because of the width. The small tires have to turn much faster than the larger tires. You will need more speed to get the ATV on the SM trailer because the bed is much steeper which means you can easily over run the end of the trailer. You will need to stop the bike forward to the tires to get the trailer to return to flat (level). If you are going to use a SM trailer you will be best to carry a ramp and now it will be easy to drop the ATV off the edge to the 2x8 or 2x12. It can be done but you will soon regret the buy. Most ATV trailers have a 12" rail on 3 sides and the ramp is the width of the trailer. If you allow a child to load you are asking for big problems.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ahhh... sort-of

One of the things that should be discussed when your thinking of a trailer is your purpose/function for the trailer. Is it only used for transportation, or is it uused transportation and for storage (garage),

Example, a garage trailer may not be connected to the vehicle when loading and off loading therefore you'll need stands under each rear trailer corner or you'll tip the trailer. Also some of the things PoPo3 discusses goes away with trailer quality and trailer options.. BLUF - you need to try to rate the manufacturer of a trailer and whats on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks to everyone for good information. @PoPo3 Appreciate your counterpoints for sure also, but want to clarify I never did mention allowing a child to load it - I am just starting to teach them to drive them. thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts