Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, forgive me if this has been hashed over alot , but being rather new to the forum and atving....
I want to get a trailer for two sportsman 550's. I can get a new chilton trailer, but would have to set them on it sideways.
ORrrrr, I can get a 5x14 and put them on "in line", but I don't know how much room I will end up with on the 14 footer. Each atv is 7' long, don't know how tight that will make it then.
What does everybody think about towing them sideways on the smaller chilton trailer? Thanks

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Choices choices!

I've got two sporties (about the same size as yours) and I went with a 12' trailer. Has side storing ladders that are used to load 1 quad sideways upfront and the other from the rear end. Not sure what your budget is but i picked this up in austin tx for 995 otd. Its 80" wide. Look over the offerings, at least you may get more ideas on what to do. Good luck and have fun! :cowboy:

Texas Trailer Supply

Attachments

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Personally, when Riding I prefer side loading. but then you've got to account for the side loading when you park. not hard just a consideration. I'd get a 14' and still side load that way you can haul a third quad if you've got a buddy who wants to go with you. or you can load front to back if think it's needed. also, when side loaded on a 14' trailer you should still have about 1.5'-2' of extra space for coolers and what not.

I have a 14' tandem axle that has been one of the best trailers I've ever used, not that my trailering experience is that extensive, but it's deep enough to know what I like and what I don't like.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have two 550's. They will not fit on a 6'x12' trailer (my friend has one and I tried before buying one). The side gate will not shut completely with a full size bike. I went with the 80" wide trailer like jgue498. It works great and pulls very good. With stock size tires I can even load my X2 model sideways and also load my two kids atvs sideways as well. For two standard 550's you cant go wrong with the 80" wide.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts