Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get an 18' aluminum trailer. Cargo Pro seems to make a decent trailer for a reasonable price.
I like how the deckover models allow me to load 4 atv's from the sides with no concerns on the wheelwells.
However, I have heard from some that they are not as stable and sway more at highway speeds due to their higher center of gravity than your standard utility type trailer.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Its all give and take. Deck over is nice cause u don't have to contend with the fenders and u have more usable space. Down side is the higher center of gravity which equates to more trailer sway, wind resistance, and lower mpg's.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If you've got the right hitch set up and the load is loaded properly you shouldn't have any issues. loaded properly means that the weight distribution is proper = proper tongue weight. Most people don't load trailers properly and that is what causes the swaying issues. for example, Picked up a load of bricks in my trailer once. hand loaded it in a single layer on the bottom of the trailer. when I started off I had to much weight to far forward so a quick stop and and a couple rows moved to the back of the trailer and it towed like a dream all the way home. Loading ATV's properly is difficult as guestimating the weight of the ATVs properly can be difficult. and that weight needs to be distributed properly over the axles. and with multiple machines it can be hard to 1 get the location right, and 2 get the balance right.

wind resistance can be a factor, but again, the proper set up will minimize this.

·
Registered
806 Posts
As stated above properly loaded is the key. I have deckover single axle Aluma trailer & it pulls great. I get the same fuel usage from my F350 7.3 diesel unloaded or pulling that trailer with 2 atvs. No sway, no wind pushing it around, no chucking, no towing issues at all. The only downside to the deckover trailer is the taller loading height, but it isn't an issue for me. I personally have no use for a utility type trailer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Double axles reduce the sway and help with heavier loads. With loading 4 Atv's on a single axle trailer no matter how the load is distributed, you will get some sway at higher speeds. So, it may be beneficial for you to look at, if you haven't already......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are we talking enclosed or open deck here? I have had enclosed for over 20 years and I will never go back to box over snowmobile type. Keep in mind snowmobiling is 80 percent of my usage. I feel that at 29' the lower trailer is far superior and the inside fender are no issue at all once you fab small ramps on each end of them and cover in super glides. Love my Charmac Tri-Sport with the Rumber floor. EW

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Double axlestrailerce the sway and help with heavier loads. With loading 4 Atv's on a single axle trailer no matter how the load is distributed, you will get some sway at higher speeds. So, it may be beneficial for you to look at, if you haven't already......
If you put 4 atv's on a single axle trailer you are probably over loading the trailer. Most only have a 3500 lb. axle. That includes the weight of the trailer as well as the atv's.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That should tow like a dream with any number of machines on it from 1-4. I have a Floe 12' single axle 3 place open similar to that and put 3 atv's on it or 3 snowmobiles on a regular basis. It is single axle and tows great No sway, no bucking, nothing. Most of the time with the new truck I don't even know it's there. Typically, not enough tongue weight is what causes the sway. Make sure you have about 10-15% of the weight on the tongue with the heaviest part over the axles and you will be fine.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks guys.
Here is what I am looking at: Cargo Pro 8 x 18 Aluminum (4) Place ATV Trailer - Aluminum Ramps! | trailersuperstore.com
I will be loading a Scrambler 850 sideways in front, Rzr 800 straight in middle, Raptor 250 sideways in back.
That's a nice looking trailer and should serve you very well!! I like how the ramps store as side rails to aid in assuring the atv's won't roll off if a strap were to fail. :fing02:

Typically, not enough tongue weight is what causes the sway. Make sure you have about 10-15% of the weight on the tongue with the heaviest part over the axles and you will be fine.
:stupid: As it's been echoed throughtout this post.... a propperly loaded trailer is a happy trailer! :D Like Ridin' I too try to load the majority of the weight over the leading axle, and forward just slightly to allow for more tongue weight then rear end trailer weight (usually when hauling just one ATV). But when hauling both or multiple atv's you'll have to "balance" them a little differently. So if the trucks rear saggs.... try repositioning slightly.

When I set up my trailer for hauling our atv's, I hooked up and parked on a level surface. Loaded the atv's and positioned them until the truck sat level. I then placed my mounting hardware/tie down eyelets accordingly.

If hauling multiple I feel a tandem axle trailer will tow the best.... and if loaded correctly, you'll barely even know it's behind you (assuming your vehical has the towing power to handle the added weight).

Handy Link: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailertowtips.aspx

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the Aluma 88 deck over, put 2 atvs on thing pulls like a dream with no sway. however if you do buy one of these the ramps that come with it s**k,
we ended up buying bi-fold 53" wide ramp now life is good ( and safe).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I kinda like the deck over more because I don't need to worry about configurations.
If I have 4 utes, they can all be ridden on sideways.
Plus, the Cargo pro had LED lights and electric brakes on all four wheels.

I did notice the Wolverine has leaf springs instead of torsion bars. However, I truly don't know which rides better.

I have a 14' Big Tex utility trailer that I am using right now. Loaded it rides nice. Unloaded, it bounces around like hell.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Or, would you guys go with this?
Wolverine Trailers
These are the two I am looking at.
Thanks for the help!
NO, Go with the Deckover you posted in the other thread. From your first post you stated you liked how you could load 3-4 atv's with out the hassle of the wheel wells (fenders). On the Wolverines all I see is fenders.

Maybe I missed it...... but, 1) how many atv's do you plan to haul on a "regular basis"? And 2) how many to you want to be able to haul from "time to time"?

To me that would determine which style of trailer I would go with....

1-2 = (Fendered or Deckover), Hauled side by side or end to end, depending on trailer length/style.

2-4 = (Deckover), Hauled side by side by side by side! :D

To me a Deckover allows for the most flexability for hauling (any item), as you don't have the fenders to contend with.

My home made tandem is a "hybrid".... fenders are built stought and can support weight. But they also only stick up 3.5" above the deck surface..... which (depending on the load) can be a pain in the @ss!

It's all a game of "give and take".... you'll have to deside which is better for you..... "the give" -or- "the take"!! :D

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
One additional thought with a tandem vs. single axel trailer.... is that if a tire blows it's much easier to limp it to the next repair shop and safer if you repair at the side of the road while it's loaded.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Torsion rides considerable better than leafs. for 4 machines you will end up tandem no matter what you go with. Nothing over 3500lb capacity will be available with single axle, and I'm pretty sure anything over 3000lbs rating now requires brakes on at least one axle. Both is even better. The first one you posted would be the better choice. Unless you go fully enclosed. Then it's a whole new ball game.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys.
A typical haul will be with the entire family which is a Rzr, Scrambler, Raptor.
I do go on trips with 3 other guys sometimes and it sure would be nice if we could all ride in the same truck. Thus the 4 quads.
Well, I believe you guys helped me make my mind up. The Cargo Pro sounds better for my needs.

One other thing I never thought about is I am will to bet the higher ride of the Cargo Pro will help eliminate all the scraping I get on my utility trailer.

Thanks guys! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'll through in vote number 3 for option #1. having the space for 4 will mean 1 tow rig and lots of laughter on the ride to and from the trails with your buddies and family.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys, I settled a deal on the deck over trailer.

The only thing I am laughing about now is how ridiculous it is going to look pulling an 18' trailer behind my Expedition with only my Scrambler on it sometimes. :D

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
My buddies deckover triton is a great trailer...tows fantastic, light, durable, etc. It is also nice that it makes it quite a bit narrower on the skinny roads of west va mountains (compared to my 12x7 utility trailer). After 5000 miles of towing the Triton, my buddy had never had a tire, bearing, or any issue from the trailer (some say the smaller tires heat up a lot...we have not seen that). Triton or Aluma deckover trailer is the way to go imo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts