Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of some good trails in southeastern Wisconsin? I know there's Bong Recreation area, but I heard the trails were kinda short. Was wondering if there were any other trails that aren't 2-3 hours from Milwaukee.

- Cory

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Theres the Tri-County/Cheese Trail in Monroe and Green Counties (South of Madison) About 60 miles of trails

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That map doesn't look very promising for regular riding for me lol. I'm in Waukesha county. Looks like I'll be taking plenty of trips to go riding!
You can make the cheese trail/Cheese trail in 2 hours from Sussex..Alot of fun!!!!!!
Whoa, just looked at that trail, looks pretty awesome. Hopefully it warms up soon so I can get my new toy out there!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Its alot of FUN!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
143 Posts
sorry to piss on your cheerios but:

Cheese Country Trail is CLOSED for snowmobiling as of 3/10/2014. The Cheese Country Trail is CLOSED to all motorized traffice.

Local Club Trails:
Green County - CLOSED
Iowa County - CLOSED
Lafayette County - CLOSED

Due to numerous noise complaints, the illegal use of altered muffler systems is being aggressively enforced.

Trail passes are $15 and must be purchased for motorcycles, golf carts, bicycles etc.

The Lafayette Co. side trails are open to ATV's if the gates to those trails along the Cheese Country Trail are open. Lafayette County side trail to Fayette is currently CLOSED to ATV's - 12/30/13. This closure to due misuse by a user, this trail may be in jeopardy for the rest of the season. PLEASE STAY ON TRAIL!!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yea it is closed normally this time of year...should open up next month....just keep an eye on their website....thats just a myth about it all being closed...they closed a small part late last summer because some ATVers trespassed on private land and some Farmer closed his part...was told in September that it will ALL reopen this year

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea it is closed normally this time of year...should open up next month....just keep an eye on their website....thats just a myth about it all being closed...they closed a small part late last summer because some ATVers trespassed on private land and some Farmer closed his part...was told in September that it will ALL reopen this year
That's good to know, any idea when they might reopen it?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Does anybody know of some good trails in southeastern Wisconsin? I know there's Bong Recreation area, but I heard the trails were kinda short. Was wondering if there were any other trails that aren't 2-3 hours from Milwaukee.

- Cory
Bong has 3 tracks that equal around 7 miles combined. Honestly, I would not bring my quad there. I go there a few times a year but I bring my 84' Honda 3 wheeler instead. It's a blast with that but even still, we spend no more than a half day there. Tends to get boring very fast. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

- Cory
Bong has 3 tracks that equal around 7 miles combined. Honestly, I would not bring my quad there. I go there a few times a year but I bring my 84' Honda 3 wheeler instead. It's a blast with that but even still, we spend no more than a half day there. Tends to get boring very fast. Just my opinion.
I heard that, I guess I'll be doing plenty of traveling this year.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Better trails in the Black River Falls area. just an hour and a half or so north and west of Madison. They too are closed at present just like every year. Due to open around the 1st of May I think. Green County is great scenery, but Black River Falls will be more challenging.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
They are different...depends of what youre in the mood for....Black River Falls with all its sand tend to get real bumpy if they havent groomed them in a while...Some of my Favorites are in Marinette and Oconto Counties and seems not to be as crowded as Black River Falls. I like the Tri-County/Cheesetrail because you can get really get on the throttle in some places

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Yeah Black River Falls area sand can get really rough. Logging roads north of Hatfield where you can open it up too. Some fun trails for everyone. Never been to the other counties yet but so far we have found that the towns and people are really receptive to the ATV traffic and people. I live in Northwestern Illinois and my state really misses the boat about ATVs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah Black River Falls area sand can get really rough. Logging roads north of Hatfield where you can open it up too. Some fun trails for everyone. Never been to the other counties yet but so far we have found that the towns and people are really receptive to the ATV traffic and people. I live in Northwestern Illinois and my state really misses the boat about ATVs.
How are the trails in Northern Illinois? I was wondering if there were any within traveling distance of me that are worth going to.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Sorry, no ATV trails in Northwestern Illinois. We have Snowmobile trails using private land and Bicycle trails that the local governments support but ATVs are not allowed. Rockford has an ORV park, Rocky Glen, (I think it is still open, they used to have a website) but from what I have heard, you are taking big chances with your safety by going there. Apparently there is no direction on the property so vehicles come toward trails and obstacles from everywhere. It's on the south edge of the city and I can't imagine the property is very big. I think it was an old Quarry or borrw pit for the bypass highway around Rockford. Never been to it. My searches found other privately owned ORV parks farther south in the state, but my wife and I enjoy trail riding so we tend to go to Wisconsin. Planning a trip with friends this summer to Hatfield/McCoy trail.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts