Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Before I tear the quad apart, i hoping to get some input on what might be needed to get this thing moving again.

The bike is 04 ATP 500, problem is transmission does nothing. The indicators work correctly, theres a slight tick at the back when changing from turf, 2x4, 4x4 etc....but nothing else.

This happened while riding in 4wd, my front cv joint disintegrated...it moved under its own power for a few feet with some horrible sounds coming from the joint. Then all power to the wheels seems to stop.

Thx in advance...

D

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'd take the belt cover off first and see if you didn't shred a belt,while you have the cover off ,rev it up a lil and check to see if the clutches are working. If that checks ok, Put it in gear and hold the rev.override in, see if it will pull itself, you may have broken a silent chain in the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The belt was shredded....good call...... I did rev it and the drive clutch moves in and out, in park, low, high, rev... I'm assuming this is normal and only the drive belt needs repair.

If i turn the driven clutch by hand, wheels move. So im guessing that too is a good thing...

Thanks for the quick reply.

Now to learn how to install a new drive belt :)

D

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Putting a belt on is easy..... place it in the drive clutch and walk it onto the driven clutch and done! Do a search on YouTube if you'd like a visual, couple good video's on the process.... nothing complicated!

I personally would also clean your sheaves while you are at this point.....

1) Set a box fan up blowing at your back (trust me :D ) not take compressed air and blow the clutches out the best you can.... black fog / belt dust will come out!! (The fan is to keep this out of your face!!)

2) Take a scotch brite pad and lightly scuff the sheaves from outside diameter to center all the way around.... on both sides inner and outer and on both clutches

3) Blow out clutches again, and clean sheave faces with rubbing alcohol.

4) Once dry.... walk the belt onto the clutches as discibed above or per video!

5) Test ride (Careful watch your pants leg!).... if all okay, re-install cover and ENJOY!!

·
12,616 Posts
If it shredded the belt you need to pay special attention to getting all the pieces of belt cords out of the clutches or you will have problems later. I always disassemble them but you may not have the tools for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i blew out the dust with remove the clutch, then walked the belt on. Gave it a test ride with the cover on. I rev it up in neutral, seems ok.....but when i put in High, i get a loud clunck when tranny engages and then i move forward.. Low doesn't make this sound..at least it doesn't sound ugly. I don't know if it just seems louder with cover off... or perhaps i'm just paranoid.

Any ideas or theories ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts