Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 325 magnum 4x4. It's had a small transmission leak for a while and I've just added fluid when needed. I parked it my shop and the next day it had a big spot under it and most of the transmission fluid gone. I realy can't see where it's comming from for sure. Has anyone seen this before? I could sure use some help. Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
wash her up good, and let it sit, could be coming from the drain plug, or one of the output shafts worst case would be a cracked case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how important is it to change the crush washer on the drain plug? Could that be it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I doubt it, because I reuse mine all the time. I'm going with seal or split case. If it is a split case it isn't the end of the world though. I have seen them on ebay for decent prices, for the whole transmission. You wont know till you de-grease the whole thing, dry it off and watch for the leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there transmission fluid that's less expensive than Polaris? It's pretty expensive but I've always stayed with Polaris fluids.

·
Registered
174 Posts
you can flush it with car tranny fluid if you drown the machine... if you want to find the leak just top it up with mercon but after you fix it drain it and put the nice purple polaris stuff in... i'm sure you can use something else but if you fix the leak just spend the 15 bucks on the right fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to make sure I understand. I can fill it with regular car transmission fluid and when I find the leak and repair it (I hope) I can drain the fluid out and fill it with Polaris fluid. Will the small amount of regular fluid that won't drain out cause any harm?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't do it. ATF is formulated for hydromatic transmissions, essentially what we have are gear boxes. I would drain the oil that is left in it and use that if you can, otherwise Polaris all the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cleaned my ATV and added new fluid. The leak looks like it's coming from a gasket, as near as I can tell. I'll have to pull the gearbox. Polaris has a shop manual for around $50.00. Can anyone suggest another publisher that's less expensive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at the Polaris exploded view of my gear box. It doesn't show a gasket between the left and right hand gear boxes. Does anyone know if there is one? That's where my leak is. How does it seal?

·
Registered
27 Posts
it's sealed with a liquid gasket maker. no actual gasket

1 - 14 of 14 Posts