Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I foolishly over-tightened and stripped the threads on transmission fill plug on 2010 Sportsman 550 X2. Cannot remove plug (just spinning). Any suggestion as to how to get the plug out; and how to repair damage? Friend recommended prying plug out and using a Timesert repair kit to replace the threads. I have Fear. Any assistance much appreciated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd try grabbing it with vice grips and doing a pull and twist. If that don't work do a quick tack weld with something long enough to grab on to.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
If it just spins but doesn't back out, maybe the pull and turn out will get your plug to grab the threads and let you back it out. If not you can hold it with a wrench and drill it out. small bit to start, and get progressively bigger until you can either pull or break the plug and free it from the hole. if the threads on the hole are good, new plug and back in business. If the case threads are gone, a product called heli-coil can be used to repair them. Designed for repair of threads in aluminum. Usually comes in a kit that includes the tap and driver for the coil. farm supply and auto parts stores will have it or know where to get it. you should be able to match the heli-coil to the plug thread.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
As i have thought about it more, it is most likely that you stripped the threads out of the case, not the plug. Plug is usually steel, case is aluminum...steel wins the battle. Heli-coil may not work on the case if there isn't enough material there. You maybe could drill it out larger and tap it with a standard plumbing pipe thread and just put a pipe plug in. grease on the flutes of the drill bits and tap will help keep the shavings out of the transmission case.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I guess I should of given more detail on what to do after you get it out. I agree with stave on it probably being the pan that stripped. He gave good advice. Might also check with local oreillys or part store for oversized plugs just for stripped pans. That worked for me when I was a teenager but I'm not sure if they carry anything small enough

1 - 6 of 6 Posts