Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I been thinking about getting a Highlifer transmission ever since I got my Sportsman xp 1000 because the High gear is too high .
And it's even worse for me because the hard Trails I ride on and my Sportsman is over 1200 lb. and stall out in high gear that my son in law on my highly modified Kodak 700 and keep going in High and I have to stop and go to low.
I think I have a way to not get a new $2,000 transmission but looks like less than $500 for the Highlifer main chain and sprockets.
Standard is 23 to 44
Highlifer is 19 to 47
That will give me a little bit more lower gearing in low , high and reverse.
The the Highlifer transmission has a lower gearing gear in high so with just doing the chain and sprockets it will not be has slow has a Highlifer.
I have saw videos of this so I know that it works.

·
Premium Member
2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE Touring
392 Posts
Is this a question, or you telling us you're doing it??? Lol, no pics means it didn't happen.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
What do you anticipate top speed of high gear to be? (I know that's not your concern, but now I'm interested, lol.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can’t you just get a clutch kit with adjustable weights? I just did one and installed an engagement washer and it has much more power on the low and midrange in low and high!

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you anticipate top speed of high gear to be? (I know that's not your concern, but now I'm interested, lol.)
Ok I have been doing some research and thinking about if this going to be enough gear reduction or I just get a New Highlifer Transmission and be sure that it's low enough.
Ok here the OEM gear ratio numbers and my best guess for just doing the Highlifer chain and sprockets.

Standard Sportsman gear ratio.
Low 5.034
Reverse 4.508
High 2.267

Highlifer Sportsman gear ratio.
Low 6.5
Reverse 5.82
High 4.48

When you do the Highlifer chain and sprockets in a Standard Sportsman the gear ratio of Low and Reverse is the same has Highlifer Sportsman but the High is about 3.00 so my guess for top speed is 66 MPH.

If you look at the numbers you can see that Highlifer in High is almost the same as a Standard Sportsman in Reverse so that seems to be too much low for High.
I have watched videos of guys with Highlifers taking the transmission apart to put the Standard Sportsman High Gears and Shaft in so I guess doing the Highlifer chain and sprockets in the Standard Sportsman is the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can’t you just get a clutch kit with adjustable weights? I just did one and installed an engagement washer and it has much more power on the low and midrange in low and high!
I have done clutch work and have helped a lot but it just not a replacement for real Gear Reduction and Standard Sportsman High is just too High to try to start off on a steep hill with ,then add in that my Sportsman is over 1200 lb.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update
I just watch Mud Puppy with a
Sportsman Highlifer put high gears in from a Standard Sportsman and he said that it would top out at 70 mph .

So putting in the Highlifer chain and sprockets in a Standard Sportsman it's going to end up being the same thing.

He has some good info on transmission explains alot.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Update
I just watch Mud Puppy with a
Sportsman Highlifer put high gears in from a Standard Sportsman and he said that it would top out at 70 mph .

So putting in the Highlifer chain and sprockets in a Standard Sportsman it's going to end up being the same thing.

He has some good info on transmission explains alot.
Thanks!! Your write up is nice. :)
I'm not into speeding, in MI, you'll get a ticket. 🤦
I'd love some more grunt, at all times. We cruise around 40mph, so 70 is plenty. I didn't want to be doing 40 @ 5,500 rpms. Lol

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks!! Your write up is nice. :)
I'm not into speeding, in MI, you'll get a ticket. 🤦
I'd love some more grunt, at all times. We cruise around 40mph, so 70 is plenty. I didn't want to be doing 40 @ 5,500 rpms. Lol
Not sure what RPM you would be running at 40 mph but doing the Highlifer chain and sprockets will give a little more gear reduction in all gears low,reverse and high.
And will lessen the load on the belt and reverse chain and if you have a 2018 (like mine)or older it has a smaller chain and sprockets that I worry about but Highlifer chain and sprockets is also a Upgrade that is 50 % wider so it's like a Win Win.
And here's another video of guy putting the Highlifer chain and sprockets in a Sportsman 850 but he is also Upgrading the reverse chain but I not going to do that because I don't see the need for me .
For one thing that doing the Highlifer main chain and sprockets takes some load off of the reverse chain and two it cost something like $275 .

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a picture of the what's need is the Highlifer chain and the 2 sprockets from Partzilla in stock
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Magenta
Font Magenta Parallel Circle Rectangle
and 6304c3 ,6204 bearings one of each because you have to pull them off of the shaft so most likely be damaged by do so , I just got SKF bearings form Ebay.
I'm going to live dangerous and not order the seals because the other ones do this is getting by without replacing them and at $30 each I see why if they are not leaking .
Good news is if you have a 2019 or newer the chain is the same as a Highlifer so if yours is good then you can save some money that don't need the chain.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gear Wood Bicycle part Art Font
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Automotive design
Looks to be a easy job to swoop everything out and so far even getting new bearings looks to be a waste because the first bearing was easy to pull off and no damage.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
But had you not bought those bearings.. ;)
Unfortunately I ordered the bearings before I pulled it apart and the 2 bearings that have to be removed to replace the sprockets was easy to pull off with no damage and there are perfect.
I will just go ahead and put the new bearings in because there SKF bearings and supposed to be an upgrade.

I played with the transmission for a long time taking it all apart and putting back together yesterday and cleaning up the mating surfaces and seals .
All of the parts should be here in a day or two.
Hoping to get to test it out soon.

Added: I also saw that my belt cover was not sealed to the transmission and had signs of leaking and just fell off when the bolts were removed.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Little upset right now because checking on my order for Partzilla and when I ordered was put in it showed that everything was in stock but now I checked order status it shows that they don't have it and waiting on Polaris and if it was like my front gear case that was 21 days.
And even scary is that on the website that it shows that the chain is
UNAVAILABLE .
Product Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Still waiting to find out something on my order.
I'm going to go ahead with the full Highlifer High Gear Swoop it's only more $245 and than I will be sure that I can climb up anything my Kodak can in high .
I'm pretty sure that I'm going like it with the lower high gear because it's very heavy and I only ride about 30 mph at most on the good Trails and even slower on the hard Trails .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts