Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I thought I would post a couple How-tos for the 500 scrambler as I couldn't find much when looking. Starting with tranny flush

Parts needed:
1) Socket sizes: 9/16 and 3/4 (Open end wrenches)
2) Polaris AGL - Gearcase/Transmission (1 Quart of fluid)
3) Oil Pan and funnel

Steps:
1) Crawl under from the right side when looking at the front of the Quad. In between the 2 rear wheels near the center (Under transmission) you will see a small rectangular slot (There is 2 near the rear and this is the one closer to the right side)
2) There is a 3/4 bolt that needs to be removed. You will have to use an open ended wrench as there is limited room. Place oil pan underneath and remove bolt.
3) Make sure you clean the magnetic end off the bolt as it may have lots of metal on it but this is normal.
4) Leave open for about 10-15mins to let all the fluid drain out.
5) Wipe the area clean with a rag and put bolt back on snug (Change washer if needed)
6) Fill hole is on the left side near foot brake. You will need to remove the black plastic covering the transmission (Its the piece above the foot brake)
7) Use a 9/16 socket to remove this bolt. Its the only bolt that is vertical and is easily accesible.
8) Fill fluid through this hole till it reaches the bottom threads which is almost a full quart.
9) Put bolt and washer back on snug. If washer needs replacing then replace it.

I am new to this and am not a mechanic. Lots of trial and error. Its good to understand all the components and workings of your quad when you are using it. I will be putting up an oil change How-to later.

Also this forum is awesome. I have gotten lots of information.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info SamScrambler. Picked up a clean 2009 Scrammy 500. Almost put the 90 weight into the bolt hole on top of the pull start. Funny thing is when I put 32 oz into the tranny, it overflowed when I pulled the Lucas Oil bottle out. Should I drain it down a little before snugging up the fill bolt? And is Lucas Synthetic 80-90 weight ok to use? It was late and I just wanted to get it done so I went to the Advanced Auto near my house to get tranny oil. And you are right, there really isn't mush advice about the tranny oil changes on the 500 Scrammy's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts