Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's, Needing some help on an 08 SP 800. The crazy thing is, its only in
4x4 Hi or Low under hard acceleration, ether full throttle or pulling something. The "check engine" light will come on, but as soon as you let out of the throttle, the light will go off. I read the code and its a 25, Transmission Input-Invalid Gear. I've tried pushing or pulling on the gear selector while under acceleration with no luck, light still comes on. I have read about a connector I should check, people say sometimes water can get in and cause a poor connection. can anyone tell me what connector this is and its location? Also what are some other things I need to check or test to get to the bottom of this? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The gear indicator is run from 5 resistors and a 6 terminal switch. If the resistance rises from corrosion in the connection to the transmission switch or the resistor module you could get erroneous gear positions on the display and other strange behavior.

The transmission switch on my '12 is on the RH side toward the rear of the tranny. It's a Delphi Metripak sensor plug. Yours may be in a different location. Check your service manual.

I use CAIG DeOxit Amazon.com: CAIG DeOxit Cleaning Solution Spray, 5% spray 5oz: Musical Instruments to clean lightly corroded sensor and the plug contacts. I re-assemble after painting a light coat of di-electric grease on the seal and the contacts using a small kids watercolor brush. Don't gob it on it'll cause seal leaks. Use just enough to make it look wet.
If you have heavy chalky green or white corrosion you'll want to evaluate whether you can get the connection clean enough to make good contact.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
hatzie gave you good info....De Oxit is great stuff....they make a 5% an a 100% solution...the 100 will take green away no problem...this stuff is the only electrical cleaner allowed to clean jet fighter electronics..so must be good....and yes..dont goop on die electric grease..just needs a light coat to work

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The CRC stuff is ok...but DeOxit is light years ahead...lol....I pulled every electrical connection an spray clean an then grease...even grounds....the #1 problem with Polaris is electrical....even my dealer said so...bad QC on that part of the bike....I hate electrical gremlins...lots an lots of trouble shooting...it can be a 12 beer ordeal..haha

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
And don't forget to clean the connector at the resistor pack. It's usually under the seat attached to the frame. It's just a non-descript balck box with one connector.

Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks for the info! I ordered a can DeOxit, prob not a bad thing to have on hand in the shop anyway! I'm going to get into it this weekend see what I can find! For the most part, I haven't had to many problems with the electrical system on popo, In 3500mi I've put a voltage reg on it and that's it (on the electrical stuff)!! Now on a Kaw Brute Force, I didn't even put 1k mile on it and nothing but one electrical prob after another!! Both have seen they're fair share of water! Wish me luck, i'll keep ya posted on what I find

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Electrical connector maintenance (cleaning and dielectric grease) is an annual ritual for me. The 500HO has close to 4000km and the 850 has about 1000 km (both mostly under water!). No electrical issues at all.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts