Polaris ATV Forum banner

Transmission Problems

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ronaldjnadeau 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a 1995 Polaris Magnum 425 4X4 and whenever its cold out when i first go out after letting it sit overnight the transmission seems to be "locked up" the shifter lever wont budge at all.

Engine starts fine, and the PVT is definitively working, after i let it idle for a few minutes to warm up if i rev it I can hear the PVT working just as it should.

After i let it idle for awhile the only way i can move is if i spend 2-5 minutes just moving the lever back and forth after awhile it moves more and more between high and reverse until i can finally put it in High. Once i get it in gear it seems to work fine, no unusual sounds from transmission or anything else, just a pain in the a$$ to get it in gear first time of the day.

I changed the transmission oil before winter, and i just bought this machine in July so i have never been through winter with it before so i don't know if this is normal or not...

This just doesnt seem normal to me and i DO NOT want to damage my transmission.

Has anyone experienced this or have a solution or tips on what might be going on?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
The shifter lever does not want to move.
This has happened all the time as soon as it gets around 32 Fahrenheit or colder. I thought the same thing you did, that maybe there was ice on the outside of the lever or on the linkage that moves in order for it to shift between the lever and transmission, but i cant see anything that would prevent it from moving. And as soon as it gets warm out, like 32+ it works fine, this is just when its cold out. Baffles me but it makes sense that it would have something to do with water, since water freezes at 32, but i cant see anything that would prevent it from working.

#10 ·
The shifter lever does not want to move.
This has happened all the time as soon as it gets around 32 Fahrenheit or colder. I thought the same thing you did, that maybe there was ice on the outside of the lever or on the linkage that moves in order for it to shift between the lever and transmission, but i cant see anything that would prevent it from moving. And as soon as it gets warm out, like 32+ it works fine, this is just when its cold out. Baffles me but it makes sense that it would have something to do with water, since water freezes at 32, but i cant see anything that would prevent it from working.
Flush out your gear case oil and fill it with Thinner Gear oil! Mabee 75 to 80 wt sounds like your using 120 wt oil? Its worth a try! Plus a good flush will loosten up any old sludge that might be in there?

#4 ·
Check in the shifter handle housing for water. I read on here somewhere about a simular problem and that was one possibility that came up.

#8 ·
Talon, yes i have, wont budge.

I think it is for sure moisture, it wouldn't budge today (it was only 6 degrees F) so i took a small propane torch to it for a little bit to warm it up and sure enough it freed up, so i think i got some water in there when i washed it or maybe over the summer when i used it to launch the PWC. I need to buy some 10-40 motor oil and then ill try to change it, is there a drain plug on the bottom to drain the oil? And i'm guessing to refill it i just remove the boot on the top...?

Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it!

#9 ·
Glad we could help, Buddy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.