Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking into buying a 2001 Polaris Trail Boss. It is in decent shape other than the fact it barely moves forward or backward. I have not had the opportunity to look at it in person yet since I am 3 1/2 hours from the seller. The only thing I know is what is stated and the owner says he doesn't have time to deal with it. I am guessing an extremely worn belt or a clutch is bad. I have no previous experience with a cvt transmission. I am figuring $50 for a belt on ebay and $250 for a clutch kit from EPI. Any opinions or thoughts.
thanks, Sean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I would post what I found for anyone else who has this problem. I asked old polaris tech on a different forum and this is what he had to say about it.
"It's either a belt/clutch problem or the silent chain in the transmission could be worn worn causing it to bind up.Belt or clutch problem isn't that difficult to repair,but if the internal chain needs replacing,then quite a bit of work. The chain is usually all that's needed,but you need to inspect the gears and bearings for wear/noise when it's apart. If it does move and you hear a grinding chain noise,this is a tell tale sign usually of internal chain damage. Inspect the outer sprocket and chain also for any damage."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also asked how to check to find out which one is the problem and this is what he replied.
"Good deal if the owner can let you take the clutch cover off!Even better if you can jack the rear end up. Check the belt/clutches while running in neutral to see if they contract and expand ok without any noise. Check the belt for excess slack,more than an inch and a half drop when pulling down on the top part of the belt. Pull the belt off while in neutral and turn the rear clutch.If it doesn't turn or make a jumpy grinding noise it's probably the internal chain. If it turns ok with no resistance,place it in gear and turn the rear clutch again. The wheels should try to turn and feel and listen for any noise from the gear case."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.