Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 polaris predator 500 I got this machine in pieces everything was already taken apart I do have the clymer manual. I have read the manual a few times but what I read in the manual isn't making sense to me. I've watched a YouTube video on the rebuilding this exact quad.
@ 9:20 you can see two shift forks with springs in them. My bottom end doesn't have those 2 specific shift forks I can't put a spring in the second shift fork, the shift fork has a smaller opening on the end and can't fit a spring inside. So I had ordered a box of bolts and nuts off another 05 polaris predator 500 from eBay an I was lucky enough to have an extra set of shift forks that came with that box of bolts. My question is do I need springs on both shift forks. I'll upload a few pictures of what I'm talking about. With all the pictures you can see that I'm pretty confused. My shift forks look like the ones in the manual. Thanks in advance and Hopefully this predator forum is still active..
Font Paper Paper product Document Publication
Gear Font Gas Auto part Machine
Gear Automotive tire Crankset Finger Engineering
Font Parallel Engineering Motor vehicle Machine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are what my shift forks look like I only can fit one spring inside one shift fork not like the video has it. In order for me to put two springs in I had to get another set of shift forks from another quad.
Automotive tire Finger Thumb Wood Gas
Hand Wood Finger Household hardware Body jewelry
Automotive tire Wood Household hardware Gas Engineering

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,547 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
Hang in there, out transmission expert will see it and answer you

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
The shift forks do not have springs - one shift fork shaft has a spring in it (the one that two shift fork shafts ride on) and the spring goes toward the left side of the engine - in your pic, you have the spring loaded shift fork shaft in both locations and the spring is on the right side of the engine.

So you have two things wrong - a spring loaded shaft in the front shift fork and the spring loaded shaft in the rear shift forks inverted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shift forks do not have springs - one shift fork shaft has a spring in it (the one that two shift fork shafts ride on) and the spring goes toward the left side of the engine - in your pic, you have the spring loaded shift fork shaft in both locations and the spring is on the right side of the engine.

So you have two things wrong - a spring loaded shaft in the front shift fork and the spring loaded shaft in the rear shift forks inverted
Sorry for saying springs for the shift fork, I meant to say shift fork shafts, my bad 😆 So the shift fork shaft the one that rides in the spot where the two shift forks are that one has two springs in it? One on the left side of the engine case and one spring on the other end which would be sitting in the right side of the case? Am I right?
Brown Wood Rectangle Table Tints and shades

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
No - the rear shaft has one spring on the left end - the shaft is cut so it is non- directional - #43 Qty. 1
Handwriting Font Slope Parallel Design

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No - the rear shaft has one spring on the left end - the shaft is cut so it is non- directional - #43 Qty. 1
View attachment 156835
Thank you for explaining it to me and breaking it down or others may say dumbing it down for me to understand. I barely passed high school but since I was a little boy I've always wanted a 2006 Polaris outlaw 500, I have worked on quads before I have worked on all of my vehicles so I got some kind of mechanical knowledge. I found a deal online I was able to purchase two- 2005 polaris predator 500 for $1500.00 I thought that was a good deal at the time. But I didn't know all the little secrets that were hiding. One predator is running and rideable but has its own little problems and the other I got in pieces everything was torn down to the frame I got the motor and it was all in pieces and I'm just trying to figure out this shift fork shaft thing then I will be able to put it back together. I appreciate your wisdom and knowledge thank you I had to order a shit ton of parts for this quad an I gave it a new paint job. I do have to replace the front and rear plastics/fenders not looking forward to getting the new design I wish there was still oem plastics but don't want to pay a arm and a leg for them..I do have to replace the carburetor. Do you suggest I go back to stock carburetor or should I put something different in it? I kinda would like to skip that fuel pump/filter and just go straight to a new carb I heard it runs better with a different carb I have the drop in k&n filter for the air box and I also have a exhaust it's a HMF but it's just a slip on with original header pipe thanks and have a good day!

·
Premium Member
8,547 Posts
Reactions: Predatorfreak05

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
Carburetors are just mixers - the brand is not so important as the design. My 65 Mustang ran fine with the Carter two barrel carb that came on it, but it had better throttle response with a Holley two barrel, when I put the four barrel 302 manifold on the 289 with a Holley carb, I still had the throttle response, more top end and got 2 miles to the gallon better fuel economy as long as I stayed out of opening the secondaries. It will perform satisfactorily with the stock carb, but a Keihin FCR will boost overall performance once tuned to the application. Start with an FCR off a CRF or TRX450 and the jetting will be fairly close and may just require some tweaking to dial it in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Carburetors are just mixers - the brand is not so important as the design. My 65 Mustang ran fine with the Carter two barrel carb that came on it, but it had better throttle response with a Holley two barrel, when I put the four barrel 302 manifold on the 289 with a Holley carb, I still had the throttle response, more top end and got 2 miles to the gallon better fuel economy as long as I stayed out of opening the secondaries. It will perform satisfactorily with the stock carb, but a Keihin FCR will boost overall performance once tuned to the application. Start with an FCR off a CRF or TRX450 and the jetting will be fairly close and may just require some tweaking to dial it in.
Thank you so much for all the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts