Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and new to this forum.
I have a 2002 Sportsman 700 that got a lot of mud/water in the transmission thru the breather tube. I continued to ride throughout the day not realizing what had happened. Needless to say by the time I realized what had happened, I was still very far from home and transmission was making some very unhappy sounds getting progressively worse. I have sense drained the oil and got little oil but a lot of mud and water. Crap! I am not very handy at searching the forum for others who may have ended up in the same position as I am in. I am looking for links to rebuilding the transmission or places to go to get a used box (if that's even an option). Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
First thing I would do is crack open the transmission and have a look. Clean it all up and then see if you notice any damage. I have had mine apart a couple times and have not needed to replace anything. Sorry, I don't have any links to the rebuild, but there isn't much to them once you get it open. If you do end up needing to replace/rebuild, I recommend looking for someone parting out your model atv.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I am sure at minimum the transmission has some problems with the amount of mud and crap I got from draining what was left of the oil. Hopefully nothing else is torn up. Do you know if the transmission was used for more than just 2002? If I could find a good used transmission, I would be a happy camper forgoing the idea of a rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts