Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:damnit::crybaby::soapbox::wtf1::AR15firing:Machine: 1987 Polaris TrailBoss 250 4x4

Well was out for a spin, just playing around and I came to a dead stop. Looked down and my chain had come off and wedged itself in between the sprocket and axel at the back......got the chain back on, thought I was all jim dandy and started her up put it in gear......................nothing............no reverse, no low, no high.....nothing.

I looked at my tranny whille the engine was running, I know I did not snap my input shaft as the clutch brake was spinning..................Did I snap my output shaft?:motz:

Son of a beotch if I did, Polaris no longer sells em going by the online parts look up. If it is, looks like I will be welding it up ahahahaha, good thing I am a welder :cowboy:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:hail:come on...pleaseeeeeeee.....do I have dick written on my forhead, no one wants to answer any of my questions in my threads.............shite. There has to be some mechanically inclined atv riders on here that know what I am talking about.........

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
No offence, but you lost me. Clutchbrake????? WTH is that? Sounds like you busted your belt to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? Secondary clutch is spinning............the brake on the same shaft is spinning(clutch brake)
Plus if the rear chain brakes, you will not be able to stop the rear tires...only the seconday clutch.

so I know the input shaft into the gearbox is ok. What is a common scenario here? According to the schematic this is a gear driven box thus no chain. So whould I be correct in thinking it is my "output" shaft that has snapped?

Or is there a chain, I Can't seem to see one in the diagram. This pic is specifically for the 87 off of the Polaris site.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
From the looks of the diagram I'd say a broke shaft or it stripped the splines
off the shaft or the teeth off one of the gears. Have you tried to push the wheeler forward or back to see if it moves then. Looks like you might have to open it up & have a look see!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My moneys on a stripped spline on one of the shafts. Looks like you have the hard work done if you already have it out. Unbolt the cover and inspect the internals.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats just a photo I found online, have not got mine out yet, thanks for the replies guys, was just about ready to find another forum had you not replied lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Give me 2 dollars on shaft #32 being stripped. But first I would check the output chain sprocket. From the diagram they look to be splined also. The chain sprockets might be the softest metal in the drive system, which would allow it to be wiped out first. With the chain coming off, this makes some sense. The spline on the sprockets maybe be gone, giving extra slop to let the chain come off. If that’s not it, I’m guessing the spline between the tall gear and shaft #32. Time to break out the tools.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Give me 2 dollars on shaft #32 being stripped. But first I would check the output chain sprocket. From the diagram they look to be splined also. The chain sprockets might be the softest metal in the drive system, which would allow it to be wiped out first. With the chain coming off, this makes some sense. The spline on the sprockets maybe be gone, giving extra slop to let the chain come off. If that’s not it, I’m guessing the spline between the tall gear and shaft #32. Time to break out the tools.
Thinking the same thing!!!! Let us know what find.

·
Registered
151 Posts
AHHAHAAHAHAHAH....#32/#33 ....drill it and pin it! but seriously.....pull the front sprocket and you will probably find your trouble there.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
after gettin so impatiant for an answer, I dont think he really wanted to hear it, now he might actually have to tear it apart to find and fix it, Dammit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Really? Secondary clutch is spinning............the brake on the same shaft is spinning(clutch brake)
Plus if the rear chain brakes, you will not be able to stop the rear tires...only the seconday clutch.

so I know the input shaft into the gearbox is ok. What is a common scenario here? According to the schematic this is a gear driven box thus no chain. So whould I be correct in thinking it is my "output" shaft that has snapped?

Or is there a chain, I Can't seem to see one in the diagram. This pic is specifically for the 87 off of the Polaris site.

There is a chain in there. I just replaced mine. It's called a silent timing chain. Over time it stretches and needs replacement. I don't think this is your problem but I do know there is a chain in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts