Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my transmission/rear diff fluid and the manual says it will take the hole bottle of oil but when i filled it back up it looked full and i still have some oil left in the bottle. There was probably about a inch left of fluid in the bottle does this sound right?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Both my 400 & 800 took a full quart!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was changing my transmission/rear diff fluid and the manual says it will take the hole bottle of oil but when i filled it back up it looked full and i still have some oil left in the bottle. There was probably about a inch left of fluid in the bottle does this sound right?
Same thing happens to me. I fill till it starts spilling out of the fill hole. Usally left with a bit in the bottom of bottle.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Probably the angle your bike is sitting at. Jack the bike up in the direction that will lift the fill hole higher.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
^^^^What he said X2!!^^^

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably the angle your bike is sitting at. Jack the bike up in the direction that will lift the fill hole higher.
my wheeler was level in my garage. But i cld give that a shot

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Did you actually use a level to ensure the floor is not sloped? Not being trying to be a dick, I just know that my garage is slightly sloped forward cause when I wash it out the water likes to drain on its own out the driveway. Since I back my 850 in, it works out in my favor.

All things being equal though, if the floor is no kidding level, then it might be possible that not all of the old fluid fully drained out maybe. I don't know where the fill/drain plugs are on your model.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you actually use a level to ensure the floor is not sloped? Not being trying to be a dick, I just know that my garage is slightly sloped forward cause when I wash it out the water likes to drain on its own out the driveway. Since I back my 850 in, it works out in my favor.

All things being equal though, if the floor is no kidding level, then it might be possible that not all of the old fluid fully drained out maybe. I don't know where the fill/drain plugs are on your model.
Your right it has a little slope. I'm gonna jack it up n try it

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Cool let us know if it works out! Other people may have the same problem when they go to do a fluid change on their bike!

Except for motor oil, I tend to like to overfill my diffs and tranny so mine's always jacked up anyway at angles to allow higher fill capacity.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the same issue when I changed the fluid in my main trans, I pulled up the front end and pushed down on the rear and it took that last inch of fluid from the bottle. Some old fluid could have been left in there too if angled when drained, I tugged up and down both front and rear until it stopped dripping out then put drain plug in and filled, took the whole quart.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i jacked up the fill side and it took just about all of it. Just a little bit left that wldnt come out the bottle. From no on i will always tilt the wheeler when filling it. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts