Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tractor Supply Co.(TSC) is advertising this Winch for $89.99, Everything is included.

TRAVELLER 3000lb Winch-includes,bracket,fairlead,switch and wiring harness.

Anybody ever used this winch ? - Any comments or Review ?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
There is a reason that one is $89.99 and a Warn is $300.
Personally, I will spend the extra money on a proved product, that I can count on when I need it to save my ass!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
About the same money as the harbor freight ones and those have a great reputation and nothing but positive reviews. Maybe you can be the guinnea pig on these?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Personally, I will spend the extra money on a proved product, that I can count on when I need it to save my ass!

+1 ^^^

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Not saying it's a BAD choice. But there is a reason it is priced as it is.
It's what is best for you, your needs and your budget.

I used a 10k come along for years, my new 550LE has the Polaris 2500 winch. I plan on replacing it with a Warn, down the road.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About the same money as the harbor freight ones and those have a great reputation and nothing but positive reviews. Maybe you can be the guinnea pig on these?
This is the reason I'm asking, because if you think about it a winch is just a basic electric motor. I hear people with good results with a harbor freight 3000lb winch and I can't justify what Warn or Polaris wants for them.
Granted I spent what Polaris wanted for the 2500lb winch when I bought this machine because I wanted it on there when I picked it up, and it's still serving me well. I have already picked up a Harbor Freight 3k winch and have it on the shelf for in a pinch and I'm going to pick up a traveller 3k also,for the price I'll experiment and take the chance. Somewhere down the line I'll use them for something but I think the winch market isn't as limited as it used to be and competition is producing good results. Right now I don't need them but somewhere down the road I probably will and the machine will be older and I won't want to spend as much money on it and want to spend that money on a new machine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The reason they are priced the way they are is because Warn spends tons of money a year on marketing. That cost has to be paid somehow, so thats why the price is high. Also, warn probably has a ton of employees, whereas the winches that are sold at harbor freight/ts are probably made by one of the winch manufactures who already have a factory and employees (therefore reducing the need for employee/startup costs).

Am I saying they are the same thing? No, probably not. I bet the ts winch will work just fine for light work. If you use it on a constant basis, and push your winch.....then I would probably front the money for a more popular brand. Customer support has a lot to do with it as well. Warn stands behind their products.

From my personal experience, stay away from the Polaris. Mine is wonky.... sometimes it works perfectly fine. Other times it wont retrieve the cable.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The reason they are priced the way they are is because Warn spends tons of money a year on marketing. That cost has to be paid somehow, so thats why the price is high. Also, warn probably has a ton of employees, whereas the winches that are sold at harbor freight/ts are probably made by one of the winch manufactures who already have a factory and employees (therefore reducing the need for employee/startup costs).

Am I saying they are the same thing? No, probably not. I bet the ts winch will work just fine for light work. If you use it on a constant basis, and push your winch.....then I would probably front the money for a more popular brand. Customer support has a lot to do with it as well. Warn stands behind their products.

From my personal experience, stay away from the Polaris. Mine is wonky.... sometimes it works perfectly fine. Other times it wont retrieve the cable.

Knew the marketing crap would come up. Everyone know that has a winch buys one to save their ass when they need it.

"Wonky" does not cut it for me! Just my opinion, but by your own admission, that winch is a POS.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Knew the marketing crap would come up. Everyone know that has a winch buys one to save their ass when they need it.

"Wonky" does not cut it for me! Just my opinion, but by your own admission, that winch is a POS.
Agreed. My winch is a POS, I never said otherwise. I fully intend on replacing it with a warn. I wish I would have went for the warn from the get go instead of saving a few bucks with the polaris. Apparently the problem is just with the contactor, so I may just replace that with a warn contactor.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Guys, I am not saying the polaris winch is not "WONKY"...My machine is to new to know that yet. I thought it was a Warn winch with the PoPo logo? That is what the dealer told me, not saying i always trust them, or that they always know wth they are talking about.

Is it a warn winch? If so, does it use all the same exact parts as a Warn winch? My dealer, my dealer replied yes to both questions.

Was I misled?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Guys, I am not saying the polaris winch is not "WONKY"...My machine is to new to know that yet. I thought it was a Warn winch with the PoPo logo? That is what the dealer told me, not saying i always trust them, or that they always know wth they are talking about.

Is it a warn winch? If so, does it use all the same exact parts as a Warn winch? My dealer, my dealer replied yes to both questions.

Was I misled?
As far as I know, warn no longer makes the polaris winches. They used to, but a few years ago they stopped....and thats when quality went down.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Your dealer is grossly misinformed, or misleading you. Warn stopped making the Polaris winches about three years ago. I believe there is a china sticker on the Polaris models

1 - 12 of 12 Posts