Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with these? I just got 2 flats today in my stock tires and my local shop wants 900.00 for bighorns and they are a week away, traxion have tires that look like bighorns and like swamp lites and some others too. I was wondering if they measure true or if they run bigger or smaller than advertised and how durable they are, they say 6 ply but don't mention being a radial, any help will be great

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I'd contact them direct if I were you..... they area supporting vendor here also. If you choose them, please report back to as how you like them. I too have been considering the Traxion "Gripper".

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have the 27" grippers. They are a great tire. If you search on here i did a review. They run exact to size , and the knobbies are alot beefier in person than they look in pics.

Also i have had them for around 500km and they still look brand new. And i do alot of rock ant gravel riding. They are very bumpy on pavement tho. And so far they have done quite well in mud.

I got 27's and they are quite heavy. I suggest a clutch kit.

Definately worth the money.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 27" grippers. They are a great tire. If you search on here i did a review. They run exact to size , and the knobbies are alot beefier in person than they look in pics.

Also i have had them for around 500km and they still look brand new. And i do alot of rock ant gravel riding. They are very bumpy on pavement tho. And so far they have done quite well in mud.

I got 27's and they are quite heavy. I suggest a clutch kit.

Definately worth the money.
I don't do a lot of mud riding, not on purpose anyway but I do a lot of high speed riding on old fire roads and rail beds, how do they hanfle at speed compared to the stock tires, that's all I have to compare to on this machine and I'm thinking the 27's might ne getting a bit to tall for the tight corners so I migjt need to stick to a 26" tire but I do like the look of the 27's

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
They tend to "float" a bit more than stock tires. But that could be because of the addrd width.

And as far as turning? They turn better than my stock tires did. And i have a non eps machine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They tend to "float" a bit more than stock tires. But that could be because of the addrd width.

And as far as turning? They turn better than my stock tires did. And i have a non eps machine.
By "float" Do you mean wander? I found the stock tires had a really weak side wall and had a lot of roll to them and didn't track very well even at low speed.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm hearing really good things about the new GBC Spartacus as an all around 8 ply radial at a reasonable price.
Came across these this morning looking at tires. they look realyl nice, 8ply is aplus. curious to see if others have tried or like them.

Traxion looks like there tires are the same as the Maxxis tire line

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pretty sure I read that the Traxion is a bias tire where the Maxxis is a radial.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
When I read what your local shop wanted for the Bighorns it hurt me. I felt violated all the way down to my toes. If it came with a set of rims then that is about right but just for tires they are trying to break it off in you. Shop around on the net and tell them you found a much better price and see if they would come closr to it. If you are riding trails and old logging roads I would go with a 26. I just don't understand where some people think bigger is better. In mud yes but trails no. I know tons of people who have bought 27's then found out way to big a tire for trail riding.

Ronnie

·
Registered
294 Posts
When I read what your local shop wanted for the Bighorns it hurt me. I felt violated all the way down to my toes. If it came with a set of rims then that is about right but just for tires they are trying to break it off in you.
He's dead on there. The price you were quoted had better include a good set of aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Wow that is expensive. At least does it come with KY lube?

I paid 700 bux for 27" black diamond Radials on aluminum sti rims from Tirewiz.com. I have bought three sets and love them. Good at speed, 8ply, huge lugs and most important is a flat profile. Thor has them as well here on the site.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I read what your local shop wanted for the Bighorns it hurt me. I felt violated all the way down to my toes. If it came with a set of rims then that is about right but just for tires they are trying to break it off in you. Shop around on the net and tell them you found a much better price and see if they would come closr to it. If you are riding trails and old logging roads I would go with a 26. I just don't understand where some people think bigger is better. In mud yes but trails no. I know tons of people who have bought 27's then found out way to big a tire for trail riding.

Ronnie
yeah the local prices here are insane but some people pay them, also there is no competiton, the reason I was looking at the 27's is because I've been reading that the 26" bighorns measure 27 and haven't heard any complaints about them, just don't want the tires to be to small and lose any clearance, stock tires arw the absolute smallest I want to go, they look small and almost funny.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got another quote from the next closest shop to me and they want 825.00 for a set of bighorns not installed, 15.00 per wheel installed, deffinatly ordering online, local prices are crazy here, and yes that's just tires, no rims.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's insane. You can get tires installed on wheels online for around that price.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Thats why i went traxion-- free shipping!

·
Registered
84 Posts
850stealth,

Feel free to contact me (PM, email or phone) if you have any questions or need a quote. We ship for free everywhere in Canada and have tires in stock. Also remember, calling us is not an obligation to buy here.. we can simply give you some good advice! ;)

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts