Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 sportsman 400 4x4

I'm on around the 5th or 6th week with this thing and almost all of the problems have been fixed.............really like this atv. The only thing left I cant figure out is something in the steering. The problem can occur at anytime, anywhere, theres not really been a constant thats been around each time it happens. You'll just be riding along and the handlebars will start to jerk extremely bad to the right. Almost like someone is riding beside you and just kicks the hell out of the left wheel causing the steering wheel to jerk out of your hands. After a few minutes it will gradually get less and less forceful and eventually go away, steering fine at that point. The only other thing I've noticed is that when this happens, if stop moving and try to turn the handlebars to the left...it will NOT go, at all. It'll go to the right fine, but once you straighten the bars back out, thats it, no left. When you're riding and it starts the kung fu kick stuff, if you got to turn left, it will go----but its extremely hard to turn. It'll turn for you, but you gotta put some back in it.

Can anyone please maybe point me in the direction I need to go to fix this, what it is, where to look for a problem, etc. etc. I'd really appreciate it, big time. This is driving me nuts. :banghead:

btw: sorry for typing so much, I try to give as vivid explanation as possible to have a better chance of getting help

·
Registered
421 Posts
sounds like the 4x4 is engauging on that wheel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you think replacing the wiring with new and a new switch would be alright. I'm not really sure what to check as far as all that goes. It looks like theres a wire going to the axle from the 4x4 button, I"m assuming once the button is pushed it engages the axle ?????

·
Registered
205 Posts
have you checked the brakes, Possibly need to bleed them?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that was what we originally thought the problem was. Bled the brakes, checked the pads, etc. everything was fine. Couldnt really see anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd have to agree, sounds like the 4x4 is kicking in. I've seen alot of problems with the armature plates in the front, the hub seal tends to leak all the oil out and they dont run dry for very long without causing problems. Replacing the wiring isnt' where id' start, the hub coils are kinda spendy, you can ohm test each side to determine if they're ok. more likely to be an aremature plate or bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to agree on a bearing or armature plate. The wife's '03 500 has had this problem for some time now. When going into reverse, at random, the steering wheel jerks to the right and can not be corrected. I did a complete brake job yesterday, front & rear pads then test drove and it still does this jerk thing. I then noticed it locked up while in Low going forward but this time jerked to the left. I got it to lock up again on that left front tire going in reverse so I went and got my ATV jack and lifted the whole thing off the driveway. The left tire was locked and not rotating but just in the reverse direction. The brakes were fine as well as spindles which tells me there is an intermittent problem internally with that left front wheel drive system. I guess next weekend I get to tear it down and see what the culprit is. Something is breaking down mechanically would have to be my guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
a scrambler 500 i had did that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well hell----I hadnt updated anything with this situation becuase I had a break down of sorts about 3 weeks back in the woods. Damn ball joint broke, control arm fell down, wheel went to the left jerking the axle out, all the bearings and such in the cv joint went everywhere, and I ended up actually running over the rim/tire, ripping the break line out the caliper. Luckily I wasnt doing but about 5 mph.

Once I fix all this other shit now, I'll get back to the jerking problem. If one more person comes in the shop and talks shit about polaris four wheelers, I'm gonna throw a small block motor in this with some 44"s and plow through the front door of their house and take a big dump on there kitchen coutertop.

People in this area hate polaris. And since I had a break down and have been having to correct all this other small problems, its not helping. I keep telling these folks its 13 years old and hasnt been rode in years------its not gonna be a perfect turn key rolling ride. Yet no one seems to understand that. I hope like hell once all this is put back together and fixed, I can make it in and out of the woods w/out the help of a tow truck (tow atv I guess, lol)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone . I just signed up for this forum for the exact same reason. I have a 99 sportsman 500 that does exactly what you guys are describing and it is extremely annoying but I dont really know where to start. I will stay on top of this thread so if any of you guys figure this out please let me know.thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old thread??HaHa! Hello all. New too. Have a 2000 sportsman 500 also, been worked to crap for the last 10 years!!! Probably paid for itself 4 fold??
Anyways, its been doing this same thing for long time(6-7 years?). We just put in reverse to kinda "clear it". Our thoughts were kinda the same, something electrical??
Thanks
Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts