Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am purchasing a second quad soon but I my trailer is only 5' x 10'
I have a full size pick up but the bed is only 5.'6"
I was wondering if anyone has put one atv in the bed of their truck, and the other atv in their trailer? My concern is that I would need to keep my tail gate down for the atv in the truck bed and wasn't sure if this causes turning problems with the tail gate hitting the trailer.
Just curious if anyone else has tried this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its gonna depend on your trailer really. Some trailers you can lay the tailgate down and some you can't. It depends how high your trailer tongue jack sticks up. With my 5x10 trailer I cant pull my trailer with the tailgate down. But my buddy can put a ATV in his 5.6' bed and pull a trailer with the tail gate down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to test it out I guess. My tongue jack is the swivel type so may work. It probably depends more on the trailer tongue length but then again my tail gate might clear the top edge of the trailer when turning anyway.
Wish I had a 6 x 10 trailer in the first place but the 5 x 10 was originally used for landscaping work.
It might be worth trading this trailer in for a larger one anyway as im sure my tailgate is going to take a beating laying down.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm guessing you have a half ton with it only being 5.5' bed. Could make your truck squat pretty bad with all that weight in the bed plus the tongue weight. Just something to consider.
Here's my truck on my last trip to Waynoka lol. OVERLOAD!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Rapta, that doesn't look safe at all. ^ The steering alone would be precarious in any situation where traction is less than optimal.

OP, you could look into getting a longer hitch if needed. Getting another trailer would be your best bet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I would have that sort of tongue weight issue as I would only have one atv in my 5 x 10 trailer and one machine in the box of my truck. Looks like you were able to get your tail gate up a bit.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Steering was fine, suspension is just really soft. It didn't even start to lift the front shocks. I wont tow that much again with this truck. I have a 1ton cummins to use. Not to say it isnt interesting to see what its capable of lol

I would invest in a larger trailer personally before putting a quad in the bed.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Best you can do is try it really..... as mentioned above, we don't and can't see specifics of your equipment (truck, trailer, ect.) My guess is that you could tow the atv in the bed with the gate down and still be able to tow your trailer with quad on it. I really doubt you'd have as much tongue weight as pictured above by "whtrapta".

What truck do you have and what brand (and material) trailer do you have? How long is the hitch on the trailer? Got a picture of your truck and trailer hooked up together?

If you can't tow with the tailgate down there are ramp type products or a homemade version from car ramps or 2x4's could be made to achieve the below. But as mentioned above a couple times.... a new/different 2 space trailer may be your best option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey MustBeNice, do you have a link to those lifts? I built a similar thing with lumber, but I like the looks of those.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am purchasing a second quad soon but I my trailer is only 5' x 10'
I have a full size pick up but the bed is only 5.'6"
I was wondering if anyone has put one atv in the bed of their truck, and the other atv in their trailer? My concern is that I would need to keep my tail gate down for the atv in the truck bed and wasn't sure if this causes turning problems with the tail gate hitting the trailer.
Just curious if anyone else has tried this?
If the trailer is too close, take a look at a receiver extension. It will get you some more distance between the tow vehicle and trailer

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Time to buy a bigger trailer. a 6x10 or 6x12 isn't that expensive. and it'll be a safer way to transport. also with the ATV in the truck bed you're either bridging from the trailer to the truck bed with ramps, or disconnecting the trailer and using ramps to get the ATV out of the bed. unless you opt for a Diamond back system for your truck where the ATV is loaded side ways. They are great units for people hauling travel trailers or boats, but they are expensive and can be more then getting a properly sized trailer if you have the option to do so.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I am going to try my handyman skills how tall do you think the front tires need to sit in order for the tailgate to close or come close to closing in a ram short box? anyone know or have dimensions I could use?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Put it in the truck and jack up the front and see. I've seen people park the front on their truck box to get it to fit with the gate closed.

Edit - if you do this, make sure you're either jacking it up by the tires, or you're accounting for the drop of the front tires for your final measured height.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If there was a way to hold the tailgate halfway open, would that give you enough room? My honda 440 would fit but the tailgate couldn't close all the way.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
they make straps that sell for like $50 that support the tail gate instead of the wires that most trucks have these days. if it can be open. But if it can't and half way is required I'm sure the strap could be modified to work with a partial open situation.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I make a thing for that. I locks into your tailgate and hangs on the striker.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
the ones I've seen were from Canada if I remember right. whole video and website and such. Never saved the website as If I were to need that I would just make it myself.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I fit my 800 in my gmc sierra with the raptor 700 in the 8x11 trailer with no issues with the tailgate down at all. We go all over with it like that no worries at all

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow great points. Sorry I missed this almost a year ago. LOL. My computer had chit the bed and forgot about the thread. Anyway.. Nothing resolved yet.
To answer the question about what truck I have. Its a 2013 Titan pro 4 x crew cab. 5 ft 5" box. Still have the 5x10 trailer and still haven't tried towing with one quad in the box because one quad was sold. Problem is.. Back to square one with new second quad.
Will test the quad in the box and pull second quad in trailer thing first. If that dosnt work well then will look for a larger 2 quad trailer. Not sure what size I will need though 6x 10 or 6.5x 10 or 6x12. Want to keep the trailer length as short as possible for storage garage length.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts