Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading some of the posts with truck loading mishaps sounds like tri fold ramps are the way to go?

·
Registered
312 Posts
If was buying tri's again I would find some a little wider and longer. They are all I have ever used. They work good I just have a 850 with big tires and a hd 2500 gmc so it's pretty steep. And I can use them for other stuff like the garden tractor snow blower and even an appliance dolley because they have a solid design with about 1 inch holes for grabbers. Made by Lund. I guess the ladder style tri's are OK to you just can't use them as much for other stuff.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
after reading some of the posts with truck loading mishaps sounds like tri fold ramps are the way to go?
I have a set of long ramps. they are safe and very tough. they're expensive, but well worth the money. they will last me the rest of my life. they are built by the company that makes diamondback truck covers.

here's a link to their website.

ATV Ramps | UTV Ramps | Golf Cart Ramps - LongRamps.com

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
tri folds are the only way to go. you can get the kind with the open section in the middle just make sure they span the entire width of your tailgate...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I do not have them and have had no problems with using the standard ramps. Usually when there is an accident involving ramps, it has nothing to do with the ramps.

Having that center section between the ramps provides only minimal safety if you drive off of the ramps on an atv. Trifolds are great for motor cycles and loading equipment you have to walk next to or behind.

Take a look at the "Don't Ask" thread. he used trifold ramps.

·
Registered
765 Posts
These HF models work fine for me. Just make sure you are dead on and you will be fine as they are right at perfect width.

those ramps would be scary unloading out of a very tall truck. especially on unlevel ground. 6ft is kinda short unless you own a small pickup or are loading them on a trailer. I bought the 8.5 ft long folding ramps so I could load in the bed of my 3/4 ton truck whether on level ground or not. plus, mine are heavy enough to use with my ranger.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yeah they could be... I should have stated I only use them with my trailers which are low to ground.

·
Registered
765 Posts
LOL! before I bought my long ramps a buddy of mine had a set of 6ft ramps he was trying to sell me. they would have worked fine for a trailer or small pickup but had a pretty big pucker factor. my wife said she couldn't watch me load and unload the atv cause she just knew I was going to flip it over coming off.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The trifolds are much superior to the single ramps and they lock onto the tailgate and are basically idiot proof. You can buy them short or long and in various weight capacities. If you do buy a set get them as wide and long as possible and they shoudl be able to support at least 1250 to 1500 lbs. My XP fully loaded is over 1000 lbs and my wide / short tri-fold with the open center does just fine. I tried using my friends arched single ramps and just about lost the ATV as they can slide apart and are difficult to rachet down to the truck. My ramp is the same width as my tailgate and I use one rachet strap in the middle to rachet it to my hitch. It does not move and I have no issue loading my large XP into the back of Silverado. The last thing you want to worry about when loading and unloading is the placement of the ramps and if your tires are in correct alignment and if the ramps are secure, and always wear your helmet. I would say Arched tri-folds would be the ultimate solution and here are some choices...lots more options online too.

Amazon.com: arched trifold ramps
90" Tri-Fold Arched ATV Loading Ramps : Amazon.com : Automotive
82" Aluminum Tri-Fold Heavy Duty ATV Loading Ramp : Amazon.com : Automotive

The only people that prefer single ramps are ones that don't have tri-folds. I have had both and there is no comparison from a safety standpoint. Tri-folds are far superior. Trust me...when loading a half ton ATV you don't want your ramps moving around or having to worry about if your aligned or not.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I do not have them and have had no problems with using the standard ramps. Usually when there is an accident involving ramps, it has nothing to do with the ramps.

Having that center section between the ramps provides only minimal safety if you drive off of the ramps on an atv. Trifolds are great for motor cycles and loading equipment you have to walk next to or behind.

If you don't own tri-folds how can you advise on them? I have owned both and know for a fact the tri-folds are much safer and faster. I can attach my trifold in less than a minute and I don't ever have to worry about making sure my ramps are aligned or hooked correctly to the truck or if they will slide. Once they are racheted to the hitch (with a single rachet strap) you can't pull them off the truck if you tried. Mine are like 65" long and about 54" wide and I can load and unload my large 850 XP that is 55 inches wide at the tires with complete focus on operating the ATV rather than worrying if the ramps are aligned correctly or if they are going to slide around on me. The "Don't Ask' thread is the incorrect use of ramps and have nothing to do with them being tri-folds. I'm glad you like using two ramps but they are not safer or better than tri-folds. Buy a set and then you will have a different opinion.

·
Registered
765 Posts
wow man you have a strong opinion. the long ramps will hold more weight and fold to fit in a short bed truck. so in some ways they're superior. plus, the trifolds limit you to only the width of the trifold. I can move my ramps to whatever width I want. to each his own. but i always wince at guys that make bold statements with out knowing about all the products out there.

and I have used trifolds. my best friend has a set.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
wow man you have a strong opinion. the long ramps will hold more weight and fold to fit in a short bed truck. so in some ways they're superior. plus, the trifolds limit you to only the width of the trifold. I can move my ramps to whatever width I want. to each his own. but i always wince at guys that make bold statements with out knowing about all the products out there.
I have owned both kinds (including several single ones) and have loaded equipment of all sorts and for ATV's, riding lawm mowers and other 4 wheel equipment the Tri-Folds are the best. You don't have to adjust them as they fit all the way accross the width of the tail gate / truck bed if you buy the correct width. You don't have to line up your tires with a Tri-Fold. You don't have to strap down two ramps to somewhere on your truck which is difficult with two single ramps. You want to buy them long enough so you don't have a steep angle but thats the same for both single or tri-folds. You said you had little experience with tri-folds but were happy to dispel them as unsafe junk based on pictures which is why I was so "bold" in my statement. Not trying to get into a Pi$$ing contest just wanting to make a point based on my experience with both types of ramps.

And you can buy tri-folds that fit in the bed of the truck as my one length tri-folds fit in the bed of my truck as a standard 6.5 bed is 78" long which is plenty long to load any ATV. Ramps of the same design are stronger if they are shorter (not longer) thats just basic physics. You can buy both single ramps and trifolds of various strengths and capacities. The material and design of the ramp determines the strength / capacity of the ramp, not the length.

I do agree that if you buy the wrong length (too short) of ramp of either kind you could end up with too steep of angle but that's not the ramps fault. Either way, always wear a helmet. If you ramps fail for any reason and you end up going down your noggin needs protecting. I rolled my ATV climbing a hill last year and the only place I didn't have a bruise was on my head and that was on dirt. Adding a truck and metal ramp to the equation makes for a much more dangerous situation. Good luck and be safe

·
Registered
765 Posts
I never said I hadn't used trifolds. trifolds are great for repetition of loading and unloading something the same width, that is fairly light. my long ramps will do the same thing on uneven ground where trifolds will have some issue. I can support more weight (2000lbs) and mine are 96 long. you can buy long ramps much longer, I believe up to 10ft. you can't with trifolds. so in some ways you are right and in some ways I'm right. your trifolds won't support my Polaris ranger, where my long ramps will. my long ramps will fold to fit in a short bed truck trifolds the same length won't. they're not the same thing. they can do a lot of the same things, but its hard to make an equal comparison of the 2. its all your intended purpose.

and in all of my previous statements did I ever say trifolds were bad? I never said long ramps were the only way to go. where as you said trifolds are the only way to go. theirs more than one way to skin a cat.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

If you don't own tri-folds how can you advise on them? I have owned both and know for a fact the tri-folds are much safer and faster. I can attach my trifold in less than a minute and I don't ever have to worry about making sure my ramps are aligned or hooked correctly to the truck or if they will slide. Once they are racheted to the hitch (with a single rachet strap) you can't pull them off the truck if you tried. Mine are like 65" long and about 54" wide and I can load and unload my large 850 XP that is 55 inches wide at the tires with complete focus on operating the ATV rather than worrying if the ramps are aligned correctly or if they are going to slide around on me. The "Don't Ask' thread is the incorrect use of ramps and have nothing to do with them being tri-folds. I'm glad you like using two ramps but they are not safer or better than tri-folds. Buy a set and then you will have a different opinion.
Had to check my post as I am getting older. Nope never said that I never owned or never used trifold ramps. I said I now have single ramps and have had no issues.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Holy crap.........is this a discussion about ramps or a pissing match?!

What works for one, may not work for another, pull your panties out of your cracks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
agreed! I just wince when I get on these forums and someone tells us what's the best and the one only way to do something, probably for their purpose it may be. but its like i said, theirs more than one way to skin a cat.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Opinions are what forums are about and there is always a best way and other ways. If I choose to voice my opinion I will especially when it come to safety. Sorry if you have an different opinion and I'm glad you do. Then others can read and hopefully make the correct decision. I have learned a lot from some and none from others.

·
Premium Member
11,998 Posts
those long ramps look like they are excellent. checked the website via the link and they come in 11' for the longest ramp length. i like how the sides on the ramps have a lip. i unload and load in some uneven spots so two ramps would help in those situations. i do like how the tri-fold is wide and only requires the one strap. question: do the tri-folds come in lengths of 8' and longer?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Use the longest ramp you can I have seen dangerous flip overs on short ramps
I do not sell ramps

1 - 20 of 38 Posts