Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 new rear tire pairs, that are so far off sellers description/size that I cant use them, and is why I'm asking for advice, tired of throwing away needed cash and piling up unneeded tires!
Appreciate any advice you might have!
The tire tread I'm interested in, is something like wanda's to match my front tires, it's just that these tires are not true to width/height.
Needed mainly for sand, and a little road use.
Thanks, Steve

Attachments

·
8,889 Posts
Not sure who Wanda is or what her tires look like lol...But in what way are the tires you're getting not usable? Too big? Too small? Too wide? Too narrow?
A small amount of difference makes no practical difference unless they're rubbing or something.
Much depends on the rim you're putting them on and the inflation psi. A wider rim will result in an overall shorter height when mounted for a particular "size" tire. Likewise, mounting the same tire on a narrower rim will result in it being taller after mounting and inflated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted a picture with my posting of a Wanda tire, to show the tread pattern I would perfecter. more like a paddle type but also good for road use. Problem is the manufacture listed the tire at 11'' wide, but after mounting they measure exactly 9''....2'' more narrow than described. So then I ordered another brand but bought a 12'' hoping to get closer to needed 11'', but they were exactly 12'' after mounting, way too wide! lol Now I have 2 new sets, using same rims, so rims are not to blame!

·
8,889 Posts
I posted a picture with my posting of a Wanda tire, to show the tread pattern I would perfecter. more like a paddle type but also good for road use. Problem is the manufacture listed the tire at 11'' wide, but after mounting they measure exactly 9''....2'' more narrow than described. So then I ordered another brand but bought a 12'' hoping to get closer to needed 11'', but they were exactly 12'' after mounting, way too wide! lol Now I have 2 new sets, using same rims, so rims are not to blame!
Ok, I gotcha. I'd send the 9" tires back since apparently they sent you FRONT tires. How tall are you getting? What size rim diameter? That makes a difference in the mounted profile too.
As for the 12" tires, 1" wider shouldn't be an issue especially if you're running sand. Wider should actually be better in sand unless they rub on something.
If you really want to buy others, most of the guys on here brag about the Kenda Bear Claws.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I gotcha. I'd send the 9" tires back since apparently they sent you FRONT tires. How tall are you getting? What size rim diameter? That makes a difference in the mounted profile too.
As for the 12" tires, 1" wider shouldn't be an issue especially if you're running sand. Wider should actually be better in sand unless they rub on something.
If you really want to buy others, most of the guys on here brag about the Kenda Bear Claws.
The tires that measured 9'' are marked on tires 11'' There the Mars mud lite, my fault for not reading neg. reviews before buying, so I'm using them for front tires.
The 12'' tires are ok at 12'', but their heavy as hell, so i'm afraid i'll burn up clutch, belts since I ride hard and fast most of the time on trails.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's a few tire brands, that I was considering, but not true to size or other problems

Maxxis Zilla ATV Tires 26-11-12 MZ41100 23.3 # 1.19480 $101.90

Forget about these tires! I just read review
they run small and puncture way too easy
3 miles into the first ride with these tires one popped on a gravel trail no sticks no sharp rocks just class 5 gravel. also i bought 26x11x12 and the accual height of the tire is 24.5" at 5psi.

MASSFX MS
This tire is only 23-1/2" tall. Not even close to 26 inches tall as advertised.One Star
By Joshua S. on Jun 01, 2018

BIG HORN:
Run heavy about 30#'s, compared to other lite brands. Tread doesn't match front tires. need more of a paddle tread for sand.

Kenda Bear Claw
reviews
You get what you pay for. I thought I was getting a great deal on a pair of 25x10x12 tires until I got them mounted. They are much smaller than the stock tires I was replacing. They are aprox. 24" diameter. They blow up when adding air/ shred easily!

GBC Spartacus
Extremely heavy and only 12'' W, not 11'' as needed, I have these mounted for rear tires now, look good, work well for plowing snow, but I'm afraid while riding fast and long trips, out most of the day, they'll mess with clutch/belts!

·
8,889 Posts
What are you putting these tires on?
As I said before, the rim width makes all the difference in the world as to how tall any particular tire will measure once mounted. The reviews you list have NO information on what rim was used so they are about useless for evaluating tires. Different styles of tires also has a lot to do with the finished mounted profile.
1" wider tires will not hurt your clutches/belt...your thumb is what does that.
I've never owned a machine that didn't have significantly larger and much heavier tires put on as soon as I could get them ordered in and mounted...I've NEVER had any belt or clutch issues and I don't putt putt around on a golf course either. I run oversized Pit Bull Growlers exclusively. Some of the heaviest but also some of the toughest tires on the market!
IMO you're worried about a problem that isn't really a problem.
Oh yeah, what are you putting tires on?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I already posted this yesterday on my third post. copied/paste this....Now I have 2 new sets of tires, with totally different sizes, using same rims, so rims are not to blame!

Well the same 2 tires were on the same rim! Your asking me to repeat myself! The mars tires were supposed to be 11'' but measured 9'', I can prove this with my tape measure, and by other reviews stating their small manufactured size, and ''like i already said'' just quoting you lol trying to add a little humor to my agonizing plight for the right tire for the right occasion! lol I figured by ordering !2'' tires they would be closer to 11'' but the Spartacus are exactly 12'' and extremely HEAVY!!

Here's the picture of rim that was used with both tires! I still have the Mars tires on same rims, but installed on front, they still are the 26'' height, and they seem to work well for 9'' for front tires! Here's also a pic. of both tires side by side for comparison.

I have read many times that too heavy a tire, where you would need a clutch kit, to keep from burning out clutch with too heavy a tire for rears! I'm new to UTV's and have over 10k in this new ride, just over 100 miles on, so yes I'm very concerned with keeping it in good health for many years to come!

So your saying....I'm worrying needlessly....is easy for you to say lol while I'm piling up tires, along with cash!!

I do appreciate your taking the time on this matter, and your knowledge having owned, used, and your history of parts tested on these machines!

I'm fortunate to have a little time here, before this next riding season begins, to hopefully find someone that rides on mainly sand/occasional road, that uses a liter brand of tire less than 25#. Don't want to invest in a clutch kit for heavy ass tires, that slow you down! Hell I want to go faster, is why I bought a monster machine! lol

Those Growlers, I just looked up, are almost as heavy as the Spartacus! 28# ouch! No hot rod'en around for you lol
Thanks, Steve

Attachments

·
8,889 Posts
LOL, yeah I get a little windy sometimes.
You went through all that response but still never said what machine you're trying to fit tires on??...It makes a difference. Pictures of the rims, or tires or anything else don't help any.
As for me not being able to go much fast with them big ole heavy tires, I'll meet you out on the trail anytime and we'll see if you can keep up. :devil

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't know who your talking!! I'd be waiting at every intersection, cleaning the bugs off my goggles, while wondering, waiting on ya! lol That's why I don't roll with tires that weigh me down, ain't got time for all that....while you all are playing in mud holes, thinking your going somewhere, since you can hear them tires aw spinning lol Weee

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just sold KQ and now same issue with Polaris 2016 570SP needing aggressive lite tire, similar to Big Horns but liter. SunF has a copycat, look alike tire for half the price as Big Horn $350, with good reviews, but also too heavy, for mainly fast trail use, very little mud, mainly sand trails. Like the quick response, of stock tires with good tread still, yet tends to wander a lot at higher speeds in sand. Any suggestions would be appreciated, at wits end here lol. 570 is a fast machine but wouldn't take much to slow er down with unnecessary extra weight, in tires, cargo, etc.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Need to study section width along with tread width and recommended wheel width. This all makes a difference. We are most all guilty of running 7" wheels on a 12" tread width tires. They work just fine, but really should have at least 8" wheels etc.

Interco does a nice job historically, of running true to size. The off brand stuff not so much. While it is true most tires are made in China, the better brands will maintain better QC specs while with the direct from china you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Need to study section width along with tread width and recommended wheel width. This all makes a difference. We are most all guilty of running 7" wheels on a 12" tread width tires. They work just fine, but really should have at least 8" wheels etc.

Interco does a nice job historically, of running true to size. The off brand stuff not so much. While it is true most tires are made in China, the better brands will maintain better QC specs while with the direct from china you get what you pay for...
Thanks, but recently, I the Polaris 1000XP, and just jot back a few minutes ago from St Helen, where we put on a few hundred miles in 2 days and handled flawlessly, couldn't be happier! Still have the 570SP and love it to, yet haven't the room for both so have it for sale on Facebook. Tires on the XP are terrific handled everything I could throw at it and ate steady hard speeds on trails, hills, mud!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts