Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered installed and thourghly abused...er...tested my Tusk 3500lb winch.
here are my thoughts

When I was looking at ordering this Winch there was a lack of reviews so I questioned its "Worthiness". I ordered it through Rocky mountain and it was here in no time like usual. packaging was good boxes were in good shape upon arrival. I installed It utilizing a Moose winch mount (sorry no part#) and all the other parts needed were supplied with the winch. I have not had it for A long time but it does have A LOT of pulls on it already.

The install was not without issue. Getting the factory Polaris winch leads onto the battery was a little bit of a pain but not impossible, The winch does come with needed wire to connect to the battery if needed as well. I do appreciate that the Polaris connector at the front is/was spaced perfectly to bolt directly onto the contactor. For those not familiar the power and ground at the front of the sportsman are in a molded connector. HOWEVER the supplied Contactor would not fit in the spot Polaris so graciously manufactured. It was just too tall and the fender would not clear. I was able to make a small bracket using some Stainless Steel and I mounted the contactor to the right of the radiator cap (looking from the front). It is still fairly well protected. and sits just below where the factory Polaris fuses are located. The factory Polaris Wiring was still able to be used just had to do very minor rerouting, also there were unused holes drilled and taped in the crossmember That I utilized to mount my S.S. bracket using two 10mm bolts.
I am not a huge fan of having the winch offset but it is what it is and it still functions fine being offset. I Did have to use the fairlead mount supplied with the TUSK winch and DID NOT use to moose fairlead mount, Reason being that the moose mount had too close of clearances for the fairlead bolts where as the TUSK bracket is about 1/4" more room between winch-fairlead.
The controller (button/switch) mounted to the handlebars easily using supplied formed brackets, allen bolts and nylock nuts . Mine sits near my brake reservoir, just above and offset from the headlight controls. There is also plenty of cable for other contactor/control locations, the control plugs into the contactor via.molex connector, There is also a trigger wire in with the controll harness that is recommended to run to a keyed power so the winch will not operate with the key off, Easy enough on the sportsman as there are two supplied keyed powers under the front fenders that only required a spade terminal and some heat shrink to make a nice factory connection.

Operation:
It pulls very well... with my wheeler being a 2010 it is obvious why the newer ones have the winch mounted lower, it tends to pull the rear up and drag the front down unless you are able to hook higher in a large tree (NOT A FAULT OF THE WINCH). I really appreciate the light weight of the Synthetic line after dragging Large Wire cable for several years on 8-12,000 truck winch's.
After giving the winch SEVERAL hard recovery situations it is still running great. HOWEVER when in freespool seems to be just a bit harder to pull line then when new, still much easier than a winch on a truck but requires a little umph now. The switch or contactor has a intermittent issue where you push the button and nothing happens then you have to release and push it again, It happens So infrequently that I cant even diagnose if I can hear to contactor close or what is (not) happening. It has never acted up twice in a row And I dont think it has even acted up twice in the same recovery. I will say it pulls just as good as the warn 3500 (had them side by side on similar weight machines in the same hole) but The spool on the Tusk has more space/capacity meaning it is not nearly as important to keep an eye on how the line is spooling. it can spool up primarly on one side and is o.k. whereas the warn can overspool easily on one side. line speed is also very similar between the two as well.
I have had the Tusk (and the warn) stalled out a couple of time's. we are dealing with melting snow and slush right now and once the machine is over floorboard depth in slush and pushing a wall of slush up to the bottom of the headlights its time to bust out the A-tool and start scooping.

Overall it has Met my expectations for install and operation. So long as it works for at least another year, I will be happy. only a year since We tend to use our winch's an awful lot anything more and it will build it reputation with me less than and i might be a little disappointed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WELP...It didnt last.

This morning the freespool became so difficult to pull that it required two people, It only got worse from there. Before it's last pull it was not possiable to pull out the freespool even with 3 people making it pretty obvious that somthing was binding internally. Was able to pull out cable by backing up while in freespool and made the recovery without too much difficulty, only moments later Needed to pull line again to find out that the freespool had completely froze up and winch motor would not feed cable in or out.

I will be calling first thing on monday and see what Rockey mountain can do about this. Not too pleased at this point but it is what it is. It made it a total of 12 days and with 50' of line i would have to say it ran 2000' of line before it locked up. No smoke, no hot motor, just go to hit the control and headlights and dash go very dim/out indicating dead short (and obviously no winch operation).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uninstalled the winch and found the the failure. not what I would have expected to see

They must test them with Cable since this came with synthetic line and shows obvious signs of cable scaring. Otherwise this is a remanufactured unit. Called today and wanted pictures sent for review to get the warranty process started. Rep said he would call back as soon as he heard from the warranty department.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. It will be interesting to see if the next one has cable scaring and how long it lasts...... :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The new winch is on, I did remove all of the rope first and the drum has the same scaring but is clean. They must test the winch with cable at the factory. I am also nearly positive that the original winch drum was fairly clean as I did pull all of the rope to wind in tight before use.

As for the replacement It has officially made two pulls (short at that) and after the first it would not freespool and had to power the cable out. When i say short pull I had to pull the rope 40' but only had to pull the wheeler 5-8' I am going to power all of the cable off of the winch drum and see if it is bound up or if this one is crapping the bed allready. I dont suspect it is bound as when powering out it feed off the drum easily. If it is going to heck I am going to ask for a warn as replacement. (even if i have to pay the difference)

When we would size a winch for a truck you simply take the weight of the truck and double it and that is the size winch you need. Is that correct for wheelers as well? If it is this 3500 should be WAY oversized and should be a breeze pulling this wheeler out. I cant even begin to fathom the lack of performance it would have on somthing that weighed 1750lbs!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
powered all of the rope off and yet again cracked in the same exact spot the same way everything looks the same, Do i tempt sanity and get another replacement and hope for better results or get a refund until I can swing the extra cash for the warn?

I use my wheeler on a regular basis in locations where a winch isn't just nice but necessary, I am completely disappointed in the Tusk i could understand not having enough power and would be able to cope with that but Breaking like this is unacceptable.I dont just need the winch for playing in the mud, I'm not talking about mud where you can easily go around. I am talking about climbs that are just much easier on equip to hook the cable and pull up, moving tree's that have no way around, mud that is 100% unavoidable, and this time of year drifted snow that has yet to melt. or trails in valley's that still have excessive hardpack snow. I will not be doing much for the next month but do have something planned for the Sunday of memorial day weekend, other than that will just be small stuff in the evenings.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Get the Warn and be done with it. I must say that i just learned something...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bright side of the Tusk is that it has a lifetime warranty, how often do you want to replace it and how many time's until they start to deny the claim's. I just looked at the Warn Provantage 2500# and think I would be able to step up in the next few week's however i will be back to playing with cable as I just cant see the value meeting the price of the synthetic, In the future when the cable needs replacing might upgrade to Rope but to start out the cable will be just fine. they rope is nice due to weight , and no wire snags but I think the wire cable is just a bit more robust. The cable on these are just sooo much lighter than trucks pulling it through the sticks wont be nearly as much of an issue and I cant see it being much more weight on the front of the wheeler, If it is I will just go on a diet for a few day's and remove some gear from my front trunk to compensate hahaha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
possible wire connection spot

Hey guys, Im new and just ordered the same Tusk winch with sythetic rope. I've watched all the youtube install videos for the 2012 sportsmans and it looks easy...however when I took my 2014 sportsman 570 apart, I can't find the black and red power wires that the 2012's have so nicely ready for them right at the mounting location. Can I run the black and red wires from the contactor directly to the battery?(the ones that come with the tusk winch) if so that would solve that problem and the rest it easy. I took a pic with my phone of another spot where I think I could run those wires too instead of the battery. Thank You!

2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 efi

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm almost positive that is the location where you connect the winch wires to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok excellent thankyou It should be in tomorrow I'll give it a try and attach some pics. I found some other threads regarding "almost pre wired 2014 570's". Hopefully it'll clear up confusion.

·
Registered
282 Posts
570 is not prewired. Run the wires to the battery or there is a junction block under the front hood piece along with the keyed wire

1 - 17 of 17 Posts