Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a TwinAir 156148P filter for my '12 850 XP. Finally getting around to installing it but.... it has a big, soft spring and a hose clamp. I have NO IDEA what they are used for.
Maybe I should call TwinAir but they're closed right now.
Does anyone know?? Is it so simple that I'm not seeing it? Am I REALLY this dumb?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Being that it is a foam filter, the spring should go inside the filter to keep it from collapsing. Not sure how to get it in there though. Buddy

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would say you twist the spring inside and the bag goes on the outside in the hose clamp to clamp it on That that would be my best guess

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That same filter is used for a lot of different models. On your bike the hose clamp is not needed. You should also check to see if the filter has any oil on it. If not you will need to oil it before installing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
These 850's suck an unbelievable amount of air. I don't believe your foam filter will be an improvement over stock paper filter. I ran a Uni for a while and put the stock one back in. Although it's the same size as the 550 filter the cfms are different. If you gotta run that filter make sure it doesn't collapse and check your plugs periodically to make sure it's not running too rich. Speaking from experience. Not saying don't do it just keep an eye on it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have an UNI air filter and it's a two stage filter with a solid core and the red foam they use. Been running it for 200 miles and aside from cleaning today after a VERY dusty ride it is working perfectly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run the exact same filter for my scrambler 850. The stock one sucked (not in a good way) ordered a Uni filter and received this one instead. I was slightly perplexed how to use the spring as well. Overall its the same length as stock, little bulkier. I oiled it up and after a 100 mile trek last weekend through harvested fields and lots of mud holes the plug and filter are fine. Far better over stock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies - got the spring installed. Kinda had to 'thread' it in and was worried about tearing the foam. The whole thing seems a little cheap (IMHO) but will run it and see
JS

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you're thinking it looks kinda flimsy and cheap is it really worth the risk of damaging your motor to run it that is just my opinion. I am by no means am I telling you what to do THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you take the filter lid off start your bike up put your hand over it you will see they draw a lot of air and if it should suck part of that filter or dirt down inside the cylinder it could cost you a motor

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is it really worth the risk of damaging your motor to run it
That's a VERY good point - Not sure what to do now. I'm sure TwinAir has SOME engineering into this product.
If someone were to throw this filter and the OEM filter at my head like a football, I'd MUCH rather get hit by the TwinAir
Jus Say'n

1 - 12 of 12 Posts