Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2000 Xpedition 425 and am working on lots of little things that need attention.

I bought a new starter as I thought that was a problem in getting the unit running. However, with both the new and old starter, I have had two different solenoids get stuck in the closed position (running the starter).

I am concerned that both solenoids got stuck. One is from eBay and was not for a Polaris but had two terminals to activate so I could use the neutral switch for ground (as per the original). It was designed for larger lawn mowers. I also had a ford starter solenoid from Autozone and installed that one after the first one got stuck. By the way, I was able to unstick by tapping the solenoid. The starter switch is fine.

I should add that the decompression system does not work so the initial push of the starter is pretty heavy and slow (I know, fix the decompression, I am working on it).

Any thoughts on what kind of solenoid I should use? I am not sure a factory one is worth the extra money, especially if it gets stuck too!

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The ford solenoid should've work, only problem is since the decompressioner isn't working, the lil contacts inside the solenoid are welding themselves together. I looked on my dealers parts fiche and it was $35.00 for an OEM.
Those things usually rope pull start fairly easy , you maybe should do that 'till you find ourt about what is wrong with the decompressioner- it may just be a broken spring on the cam. Just pull it ever so gingerly past the comp. stroke, then a hard yank, with a lil throttle and should be going.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
wont the rope pull be sorta tuff pulling with the compression release not working..you ever pull one where it did not catch...rip your fingers off...loll..I think that problem needs fixing first...with it not working the starter is drawing lots more than normal and the contact are spot welding I bet...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts