Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Polaris enthusiasts,
New to the site and like what I am reading. Looking to buy a winch for my 07 700 sportsman and there are a ridiculous ton of choices. Just wondering what some of you have gotten for your rides. Planning to use it around my two acres of desert with the possible addition of a front bucket attachment. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm using a Superwinch Terra3500. Has been great so far.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
2x-3x the weight of the ATV, Rider, and gear at a minimum. 2x is bare minimum. 3x is much better.

you're safe with most name brand winches, you'll find plenty of Warn diehards and plenty that run other brands. So you research and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've had a viper, a warn and polaris (don't know who make polaris now, used to be warn). The Viper (this was 3 years ago) was a POS from the directions that were illegible and were a copy of a copy of a copy. Free spool broke immediately, I could return at my cost or fix it myself...decided to live without the free spool and the winch did work ok (sold ATV). New ATV and put a warn on with a warn mount and the quality and directions were outstanding. Winch was amazing except for the synthetic rope and rope protector which I think sucks, sorry guys just my opinion (totaled ATV). Current ATV came with Polaris brand winch. Steel cable was in bad shape so I made a new one at Lowes for $20 and the winch has worked well except the solenoid unit got caked with mud and was grounding out. Cleaned it and is working as new. Have made art least 1000 plow lifts this season without a problem. Just saw a post where a guy bought a badlands 2500 from harbor freight with a wireless remote for $50, that's a great deal. Could replace winch each year for that price. However, I ride in the wilderness and I have to run a brand that has some years behind it so I would probably go warn again. Great prices at Rocky Mountain ATV....current coupon code spring2014 might get you 10% off. Free shipping over $99.

·
Registered
772 Posts
dont get the superwinch LT2000. Not a quality winch at all. I have heard the badlands winch 3000lb from harbor freight is good. Of course Warn makes a good winch.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Any of the major brands should do you pretty good (warn, ramsey etc). I would get a 2,500lb winch

·
Registered
192 Posts
Summit 3500 almost double the hp and gear reduction than every comparable winch in its class. Synthetic rope package for $150 shipped

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Viper Max 3500 and live in Michigan.I use it mainly for plowing and MI is haveing a crazy winter.I have plowed many times and help out neibors too.I have had zero issues so far.You will get so many different answers your head will hurt.Think about what you are using the winch for.If you are going to need it to pull you or someone out of deep mud to get back home,Ride up in the mountians or really depend on it for safty,Then get a quality name brand winch.If you might need it 1 or 2 times get a cheapy.Plowing is pretty hard on them cause you cycle so many times so mid range to top of the line.Good luck.Oh and if you go with a Viper Yes the directions do suck BUT it really isn't that hard to install and with all the good people hear that have done it you should have zero issues.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have 2 bad lands winches...one on my 87 suzuki lt250 4x4 and one on my new to me sportsman 500.....the one on the suxuzi is 5 years old and has never let me down...I used it for plowing..skidding logs ....pulling bushes out of ground..pulled a truck out of drain ditch...
But any ways ..any good brand winch will serve you good....warn or ramsey would be on top of list...both have a great reputation....if the badlands fails me on my Polaris...warn 3500# would be my choice..buy a winch to your needs...I use mine alot around the woods and yard....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have a Viper Max 3500 and live in Michigan.I use it mainly for plowing and MI is haveing a crazy winter.I have plowed many times and help out neibors too.I have had zero issues so far.You will get so many different answers your head will hurt.Think about what you are using the winch for.If you are going to need it to pull you or someone out of deep mud to get back home,Ride up in the mountians or really depend on it for safty,Then get a quality name brand winch.If you might need it 1 or 2 times get a cheapy.Plowing is pretty hard on them cause you cycle so many times so mid range to top of the line.Good luck.Oh and if you go with a Viper Yes the directions do suck BUT it really isn't that hard to install and with all the good people hear that have done it you should have zero issues.
Mounting the winch wasn't the issue, it was the jigsaw puzzle with 3 pieces missing that was the viper mount that was a nightmare on the Honda Rancher frame. As noted, the winch always worked except for the free spool and the synthetic rope and or rope protector constantly getting bound up in the spool. That probably happens with all synthetic rope though if you ride in water, mud or snow so that isn't a viper only fault as I hated it on my warn also. From the sounds of things the badlands winch has a good following. When I bought from Rocky Mountain ATV the price difference between the ebay winches and a warn were within a hundred bucks so I went Warn.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I went with a Superwinch LT3000 and KFI mount. I've been very pleased with it's ability to "un-stuck" my 1200# machine from a few sticky spots... Also used it to winch up an ice-covered hill that was about 65-70º angle and about 100ft tall.

Here's a link to my install thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts